Chapter 33

Silence lingered in the air as Billion waited for Emery's response, in earnest

Her eyes were large and unsure and for a distant time, she gaped inanimately at him. Not that the vicious pound of her heart, and the butterflies swarming in her stomach made it easy to reason logically.

Did she honestly want to be with him even with his certified reputation? She was uncertain.

But for the past few weeks, he had proved himself worthy and earned enough credit in her good books. That was enough for her.

Tersely, her eyes flickered to his face and back to the black designed box. Emery ceased the hold on her breath once she knew it was a necklace, and not a ring as she thought.

Offering him a big smile, she said, "Yes."

Billion released a shuddering breath and stood up. Taking a hold of the solitaire diamond necklace, he set the case on the coffee table and strode over to her.

"A simple flower would do next time, Dekker," Emery said lightly

"You don't like it?" he asked, a bit taken aback.

As far as he could recollect, most of his former lady friends—if not all, were fond of jewels. In Billion's humble opinion, all women love lavish gifts.

"Billion, this is very sweet of you and I really appreciate the thought but it's just too..."

Her eyes softened with regret when she took in his crestfallen features. For withering the blissful moment, Emery gave herself a mental beatdown and strode over to him. Standing on the tip of her toes, she gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Thank you, but I will need a little help." she held her curls aside and turned her back to him. A smile touched his lips as he edged over to her.

After he had clasped the necklace around her neck, he glanced down at her with a smile full of ardor and said, "It looks good on you."

"Thank you." she took a look at the alabaster with a soft sigh.

"So, I guess it's party over for us, cause I will be a bad boyfriend to leave my girl here and go back ..."