Three

Her hands tremble in anger as she sits on his bed, the smell of his cologne lingering in his room. Even when she wants to hate him, she can't.

The knock at the door doesn't surprise her in the slightest, and somehow only seems to make her more pissed off.

"Caroline, please let me in."

His voice is softer than usual, calming, even. She can't help herself when she unlocks the door, not even meeting his eyes as he takes a seat next to her on the bed.

"I can explain," he mutters.

She finally looks him in the eyes, more mad than ever.

"Explain what exactly, Klaus? That you were just gonna take off and leave without a goodbye?" she hisses, her words stinging.

He frowns, "I was going to tell you. I was scared, Caroline! I didn't know how you'd react."

"To you getting into your dream school?! I would have been ecstatic, Klaus! How could you not have told me? Do you not trust me or something?" she asks, her words firing at him like bullets, each one hitting his heart.

"Of course I trust you! I was trying to protect you," he sighs, the sentence coming off not as he planned.

She scoffs, "protect me? I think I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself, Klaus."

He rolls his eyes at her stubbornness, "you know what I meant. I don't want to fight with you, Caroline."

"You promised me, Klaus. You promised me we would never lie to each other. You said you would trust me! Yet you couldn't tell me some of the most important news of your life? Do you know how embarrassing that was? To find out from your mother that the one person you trust most hadn't told you his most important secret? It felt like shit, Klaus," she stands, pacing the room.

"I'm sorry, my love. I just didn't want to hurt you. Please, look at me?" he pleads, but she ignores him, continuing to pace.

"So when do you leave?"

"Caroline-"

"This was your going away party, right? Another thing you lied to me about. That's why your mom wanted me to come for dinner. Well, it must be soon. Oh, maybe I should help you pack! You are gonna be gone for four years, is it? Yeah, you might as well just take everything and leave the rest behind. That's what you were planning on, right?" Caroline snaps, her face red with rage as she digs further.

Klaus runs a hand through his hair, "I don't know what to say."

"Might as well say goodbye."

"Please don't do this. Don't push me away," he begs.

"As if you haven't already done that!" she raises her voice.

He frowns, "I can't lose you already. I just got you back."

"Well maybe you should have thought of that before you lied to me, Klaus."

She can't help the overwhelming frustration surrounding her, making her crazy. Why couldn't he have just told her?

"I leave in four weeks," Klaus states.

She shakes her head, "I can't deal with this right now. I'm going home."

Klaus quickly grabs ahold of her wrist, turning her around gently as she tries to leave.

"Don't go, please."

"Don't touch me, Klaus."

"Caroline wait-"

"What?" she argues.

He sighs, "how will you get back home? Let me drive you."

"Kol will drive me, Klaus. Now just leave me alone, okay? Please? Just leave me alone," she says, her voice more hurt than angry now, breaking mid sentence.

"Caroline-" he attempts, but the door is already slammed in his face before he can say another word.

• • •

Vote and comment! :)

XoXo