Twenty Three

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have even called..." she starts, shaking her head.

"No, it's okay," he replies almost immediately.

Caroline relaxes at the sound of his voice, cursing herself for continually being weak for him.

"I... c-can we talk?" Caroline's voice breaks as she holds back sobs. She doesn't want to cry in front of him, but she can't help replaying her mother's words over and over again in her head and eventually she's silently sobbing.

"Are you okay?" Klaus's voice is immediately concerned once he hears the soft cries coming from the girl.

"M-my mom has a date coming over for dinner tomorrow. It's so stupid and I shouldn't be crying because she's finally allowing herself the tiniest bit of happiness after my dad and here I am continuing to be selfish about it and-"

"Shh, love. Deep breaths, hm?" He asks, practically whispering.

She listens to him, breathing in softly. Caroline curses him for knowing exactly how to make her feel right, even to this day.

"What about you come over to my place? We can talk in person."

"It's getting late. Isn't Emma with you?" Caroline asks, the hint of sadness evident in her voice.

"Yes, she's home- busy, though. She won't care."

Caroline sighs, "I don't want to bother you guys, Klaus."

"You won't be. Please, just come see me. I want to see you."

She takes in a shaky breath, still unsure about all of it.

"Okay, I'll be there soon."

• • •

It takes around twenty minutes before Caroline reaches Klaus's home, eyeing the familiar facade with a nervous sigh. She climbs out of her car, heading up the long driveway.

When she opens the door, Klaus is waiting in the living room with a hopeful smile on his face when his eyes meet hers. She wants to run up and just kiss him, never letting him go- until she sees Emma sitting beside him, typing away on her laptop.

"Oh, hey! I didn't know you were coming," the girl smiles sweetly, pressing black rimmed glasses that Caroline didn't know she had further up the bridge of her nose.

"Hi," Caroline replies with a small but awkward wave.

Klaus immediately stands, approaching her. "Kol is upstairs. You two were going to finish up that math project together, right?"

Caroline's face flushes, going along with Klaus's lie. Of course he didn't tell Emma the real reason she was here.

"Yeah, we were."

"I'll let him know you're here," Klaus plays it off smoothly, gesturing for Caroline to follow him up the stairs and out of Emma's sight.

When the two of them reach Klaus's room, he shuts the door, leaving the two in silence.

"You didn't tell her I was coming," Caroline states after awhile.

Klaus frowns, "I didn't want her to think anything of it. She's really stressed writing this paper for our professor who's a total hard ass and I didn't want to worry her with anything."

Caroline shakes her head with an annoyed smile, "of course you didn't."

The tone is one Klaus knows all too well.

"You're mad."

She shrugs, sarcasm dripping from her lips as she replies, "no, Klaus, I'm actually ecstatic about having to hide from your girlfriend!"