Twenty Five

The dinner is filled with loud, Mikaelson chatter per usual, with nearly twenty five sat at the long dining table reserved for parties.

"So, you two are dating then?" Kol's grandmother asks, pointing to Kol and Caroline.

Caroline goes red before Kol answers quickly with a short, "Us? No. I'm dating Bonnie, remember?"

"Ah, yes. The Bennett?" she replies with an unamused look.

He clears his throat, "that's her."

"I didn't much care for her. Caroline, however, well who doesn't love her?" his grandma smiles, surprising the blonde.

"Thank you, but I'm sure Kol and Bonnie are very happy. Plus I'm seeing someone anyways," Caroline lies right through her teeth, watching as Klaus nearly drops his fork in surprise. He collects himself, now paying close attention to her.

"Oh really? Who is this?"

Caroline smiles politely, "his name is Tyler Lockwood."

Klaus goes stone cold, his expression going angry at the mention of that bastard's name. How could she? With him?

She studies his features, watching him tense up by the second.

"Wait, you're back with Tyler?" Kol whispers so only she can hear, his face going red.

"I'll explain later," she whispers back.

"This Tyler fellow, he's handsome I take it?" Kol's grandma asks with a small smile as the rest of the family chats amongst themselves.

"Very. He's captain of the football team," Caroline giggles.

"Oh I remember that kind," she winks playfully.

Klaus grits his teeth, clearing his throat. "Excuse me."

Caroline's eyes follow as he walks away from the table.

"Klaus, where are you going?" Esther asks, slightly annoyed.

"I just need some air," he responds.

Caroline looks down at her food, suddenly losing all appetite. Klaus doesn't return for all of dinner, making Emma slightly nervous as she approaches Caroline after dinner in the living room.

"Caroline?" she asks.

"Hey," she responds.

"Is there a reason Klaus walked out before? Are you two in a fight or something? Is everything okay?" Emma asks, concerned.

Caroline sighs, "let me go talk to him. Everything's okay, don't worry. You know how he gets."

She frowns, "actually, he only gets this way around you it seems."

"What do you mean?" Caroline arches an eyebrow.

Emma blushes at this. "You two... I don't know. It's silly, never mind."

"It's not. Go on, tell me."

She takes in a small breath of air. "I feel like you two share this connection that him and I don't. I know it's probably nothing, but it's hard when he doesn't open up to me about anything anymore. He only seems to talk to you."

Caroline feels her cheeks go red at this revelation, sighing. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you thought that."

"It's not your fault. You guys are good friends. I just have to stop being so jealous and-"

"No, Emma, it's not your fault. Klaus is a hard person to understand. He does things and makes you crazy. He's an ass, most of the time. He's selfish and annoying in general— but deep down, behind all of that, he's the sweetest guy you'll ever meet. He's caring and considerate and kind and selfless," Caroline rambles on, unsure of what is even coming out of her mouth at times.

"Caroline?" Emma pauses her.

Caroline looks at the brunette girl, blushing slightly. "I talked way too much, didn't I? I'm so sorry. Sometimes I just start and I can't stop and-"

"You love him, don't you?" Emma asks, making Caroline practically choke on the air.

"W-what?"

"You're her, aren't you? I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner."

"I'm sorry, what?" Caroline continues.

"You're the girl who broke Klaus's heart. You're his ex. I'm so stupid, I swear. How did I miss it?" she rambles.

Caroline freezes, unsure of what to say.

"Klaus told me about this girl, his ex girlfriend. I didn't think anything of it because I thought you and Kol maybe were together, but now that you said... God, I am such an idiot."

She doesn't know what to say. What can she say?

Klaus suddenly enters through the front door, eyes on the two girls before him.

"What's going on?" he asks, approaching them.

He eyes Emma, sadness in her eyes, and then Caroline, completely anxious.

"Do you love her, Klaus?"

• • •

Hope you all enjoyed the chapter. I'll probably be updating later tonight or tomorrow. :)

XoXo