Twenty One

"He just told me he loved me! I mean, who the fuck does that? He's in a relationship! And Emma is so sweet, you guys don't even know. He makes me so frustrated sometimes," Caroline groans, falling into her pillow and allowing her body to lay limp on the soft mattress.

"Care, aren't you the least bit excited about this?" Elena smiles.

She shoots up, "Why would I be excited?"

Bonnie quickly answers, "I think what Elena is trying to say is that maybe this is good news."

"How so?" Caroline asks, more calm this time.

"Maybe Klaus is finally coming to the realization that he belongs with you and not Emma," she shrugs as if it's that simple.

"All he said was that he never stopped loving me. That doesn't mean his feelings for Emma are fake, or that he wants to be with me anytime soon."

"You don't know that," Elena retorts.

Caroline raises an eyebrow, "It's Klaus we're talking about here. Three days ago he told me Emma was the thing he needed right now. The next day he said he loved me. Now... now I don't even know."

She groans again, falling onto Elena's bed.

"Boys are confusing, Care, especially Klaus. You just have to be direct with him. If you want something more, tell him. If you don't, that's fine too. You just have to let him know. I mean, have you told him how you've felt yet?" Bonnie replies.

Caroline sighs, "no."

"Well maybe you should start with that first," Bonnie suggests.

The blonde nods, sitting up and flicking through the television channels, her mind racing but her expression blank.

"How do I tell him, though?" Caroline asks out of the blue, unable to stop herself.

Elena and Bonnie eye each other. Bonnie ends up answering, "Do you still love him?"

Caroline blushes, "you know I do."

She nods in response, "then let him know too. It's only fair to him."

"I guess you're right. Easier said than done, though. He's so intimidating, even after knowing him for as long as I have," Caroline sighs.

"Hey, can I tell you something?" Elena nudges her friend.

Caroline's eyes peer up at the brunette, "hm?"

"I know you're frustrated with him right now, but you two bring out the best in each other. I'm just going to be honest and say I miss you two together. I've never seen either of you love someone as much as you loved each other. It was nice for a change from all the drama in my life- seeing you two together. Just know, things get better, okay?" Elena rambles, turning back to the T.V.

Caroline does the same, eyes on the screen but her mind on him.

• • •

Vote and comment your thoughts! <3

XoXo