Twenty Eight

"Hard to believe it's almost Christmas tomorrow," Freya starts up conversation, biting into the ham dinner that Esther had prepared for her family.

"Tell me about it. Feels like I just started senior year a week ago," Caroline chimes in, attempting at getting closer with Klaus's siblings, especially Freya and Elijah who are busy in college where she rarely gets to see them.

"It does, doesn't it?" Kol agrees.

"I remember my senior year. It flew by in what seems like days," Elijah notes.

"I wish sophomore year would fly by in days. My teachers are so annoying," Rebekah sighs with a small groan.

Klaus chuckles at this. "Trust me, you'll miss it once it's gone."

"Oh like you miss high school while you're in Paris, living the best life in your dream school?" Rebekah rolls her eyes, teasing.

Klaus smirks slightly, shrugging. "Paris is great, don't get me wrong. The art, music, and culture is amazing down there— but nothing beats free food and not having to do your laundry."

Esther laughs at this. "Is that all you miss about me, son?"

"Eh, I guess I miss you guys... sometimes," he jokes.

His mother shakes her head, a fond smile on her face as she watches her family continue to converse.

"So, you head out in four days?" Elijah asks Klaus.

He nods in response, "yep, four days."

"So soon? They don't give you longer to enjoy winter break?" Freya asks.

"I wish they did, but no."

"Well then we'll just enjoy the time we have together until you all head back," Esther smiles, trying to stay on the bright side of things.

Dinner goes by slower than usual, the conversation alive as everyone jokes and chats about everything and nothing seemingly at once. It isn't until around seven at night when people begin clearing their plates.

"Dinner was amazing, Esther," Caroline tells the woman who smiles back at her.

"I'm glad you liked it! Oh, I almost forgot! I have presents for you tomorrow morning if you'd like to swing by after breakfast with your mom," she grins widely.

"Oh you didn't have to do that!" Caroline assures her.

"Of course I did. You make Kol and Klaus both so happy, and you've always been good to them. I need to show my appreciation somehow," she admits, gently squeezing the blonde's shoulder.

"Well thank you," Caroline adds before bringing her plate to the sink and heading out to join the rest of the family in the living room.

She looks around, confused when she sees everyone but Klaus hanging out together.

"Where's Klaus?" she whispers to Kol with concerned look set upon her face.

"I think he went upstairs for a bit. Why?"

"Just wondering," she shrugs. "I'll be back in a little bit. I'm gonna go check on him."

"Have fun," Kol mumbles, his eyes focused on his phone screen, only half listening to her as it is.

Caroline scampers upstairs, knocking gently on his door before opening it. Klaus is sat at his desk, scribbling away at what seems to be a sketch of something. She approaches him, gently resting a hand on his back and kissing the top of his head.

"Whatcha doing?" she mumbles, watching him sketch away at a landscape, almost perfectly.

"Just drawing for school. Something to take my mind off of things," he shrugs, his voice quiet and his eyes focused.

"You okay?" she asks.

"Mhm," he nods, but it isn't entirely convincing.

"Hey, what's wrong?" she gently takes his hand in hers, stopping him from drawing for a second. His attention turns to her.

"It's nothing, really."

"Klaus."

"Reality is just hitting me a bit, is all," he replies.

She tucks a curl behind his ear, sighing. "Reality?"

"You know, the reality where I have to leave in four days and don't get to touch you until Easter comes along," he rephrases.

Caroline frowns, "it'll go by fast, I bet."

"I hate leaving you. I hate having to say goodbye again, Caroline," he lets out a shaky sigh.

She frowns at this, "I know. Me too."

"I already let you go once, Caroline. I'm not going to let you go again."

"You don't have to let go of anything, Klaus. I'm here. I'm yours. I love you."

He smiles, looking over at her. "I love you too."

• • •

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. How were all of your weekends? :)

XoXo