Seventeen

"You're Caroline, right?" a gentle hand squeezes Caroline's shoulder, turning her attention towards the all too familiar brunette.

"Y-yeah, hi. It's Emma?" Caroline asks, surprised slightly to see the girl in person. She quickly recalls the fact that Emma doesn't in fact know she's Klaus's ex girlfriend, and plasters on a fake smile.

"That's me. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you yesterday! I felt so bad. I got too caught up in talking with Klaus's mom. She's such a talker, isn't she? Insanely sweet woman, though," Emma smiles, seeming genuine.

Caroline fights off the part where she wishes she could hate Emma. She can't. The girl seems sweet, what can she say?

"Oh trust me, I know," Caroline laughs, smiling at her.

"So how do you know Klaus?" Emma asks, probably just trying to make small talk but instead Caroline's mind goes to the fact that she's caught on and probably hates her now.

"Oh well I've been best friends with his brother Kol since we were kids so I met him through his brother," she explains.

Emma nods, "Kol seems cool. We met last night and he was really sweet. It's kind of intimidating if I'm honest, meeting such a big family."

"They're all sweet, don't worry," Caroline assures the girl.

She hates that Emma is kind and gorgeous and absolutely perfect for Klaus. Speaking of the devil, Caroline's eyes meet his from across the room where he stands on the bottom of the staircase, hair messy and those familiar baggy gray sweatpants hanging off of his hips loosely with a black T-shirt covering his torso.

He admires the two as they speak to each other, the sight quite wild. His eyes travel towards Caroline's, and then back to Emma, heart abnormally racing.

"There you are sleepy head," Emma smiles at him as he approaches the two. "I was wondering when you'd finally wake up."

Klaus fakes a smile, mind racing about all of the possibilities of what the two could have been talking about. What if Caroline told her accidentally about their past relationship? Somehow deep down, however, he knows she would never do that. Not even if she hates his guts at the moment. She couldn't ever do something like that to someone she loves.

"It's only nine in the morning. You should know I'm not exactly an early riser," he jokes.

Caroline frowns. She knows that about him.

"I know now," Emma kisses his cheek playfully. Klaus notices the way Caroline looks away as she does so, frowning slightly.

"Hey, do you mind getting me some of those pancakes I know my mom made?" Klaus turns to Emma as a way for him to talk to Caroline alone.

"Actually, I've been dying to eat some of those. She's an amazing cook, you know," Emma notes to Caroline with a small smile.

"Yeah, I know."

Emma exits the room, going to fetch some breakfast for herself and Klaus, leaving the two alone in the living room.

"You didn't tell her anything, right?" Klaus whispers, worried.

Caroline rolls her eyes, "you really think I would do that?"

"I'm just checking. I don't want to ruin this with her. She's different, okay? I'm sorry, I know it is such a dick thing to do, bringing her home when you're also here. I just... I can't lose her. She's what I need right now. Please understand that," Klaus states.

Caroline scoffs, "and you think I would ruin it? Grow up, Klaus. I'm not some fragile, little, jealous and broken thing that you constantly have to watch over. It's been months since we ended things. I'm over it and for the last time I'm fine."

"Caroline, I didn't mean it like that," his hand gently grips her arm, attempting to comfort her.

She shakes him off, "it's fine. I'm heading out anyways."

Klaus wants to stop her. He wants to tell her how sorry he is. He wants to talk to her, listen to what she's been doing over the past few months, to know about her senior year experience so far. He wants that closeness they once shared.

"Caroline," he pauses when she turns around to face him. What can he even say to make her stay?

"What, Klaus?"

His eyes turn soft, about to speak before he hears the familiar voice at quite possibly the worst time.

"Here babe, breakfast," Emma speaks, rubbing his back and handing him a plate.

Caroline frowns, nodding before looking back at the door. "I'll see you later."

• • •

Vote and comment!

XoXo