Nineteen

Her eyes can't stop looking over the two. He acts so different around her, it breaks Caroline.

"You okay?" Kol whispers to her on the couch, following where her eyes land and frowning. "Just ignore them. That's what I do."

Caroline doesn't respond, instead sighing and turning back to the screen where Kol is currently beating Klaus at Mario Kart for once. Emma is sat on Klaus's lap, giggling at the brother's playful competitiveness while her head rests on Klaus's shoulder. Caroline's heart aches at the sight, refusing to give in to the sadness which lingers in her heart.

"Oh my god, I'm gonna beat you!" Kol announces in victory, his smile stretching from ear to ear. Caroline grins at her friend's excitement, shaking her head fondly.

"No you aren't!" Klaus stands in front of him, blocking Kol's view.

"Klaus!" Kol shrieks, attempting to push him out of the way. Klaus only chuckles, poking Kol's ribs making his brother practically squeal, laugh, and fall onto the couch in defeat.

With a large grin, Klaus finishes Mario Kart in first and cheers. Kol huffs from the couch, falling back to fourth place.

"You're such a dick," Kol rolls his eyes, his tone still playful.

"A dick who won Mario Kart!"

"Only cause you manipulated me!" Kol groans, setting the controller aside as Klaus laughs, pressing a quick kiss to Emma's lips.

"Told you I always win, love," he murmurs to her, just loud enough to where both Kol and Caroline could hear. The familiar nickname makes Caroline practically fall apart. She stands from her seat, clearing her throat.

"I'm gonna head out. Text me the answers to that one sheet for math when you get the chance," Caroline smiles, directing the statement towards Kol.

Klaus tries not to pay attention to the blonde, but his eyes can't stay off of her, even with Emma pressing a kiss on his cheek.

He politely pushes her off of him, gently of course, and stands up, heading towards the door where Caroline is about to leave. He stops her, taking her back by surprise.

"Hey."

She arches an eyebrow, "hi?"

"Look, can we talk? I have a lot I want to tell you and I can't in front of... you know," he whispers.

"Your girlfriend? I got that, but no. I'm busy today," she shrugs, paying him no mind.

He sighs, knowing her stubbornness is speaking. "Please, Caroline. It won't be long. I promise. I just need a chance to explain myself."

"Explain what? You've moved on. By all means, go for it. I'm happy for you," she lies, both of them seeing through it but deciding not to comment on it.

"Can I at least ask you one thing?"

"What, Klaus?" she sighs.

"Are you okay? I mean, really okay? I know your dad's death date is coming up and I just wanted to check in."

Caroline doesn't know how to feel about this. One part of her is crushed about the reminder. Another is swooned that he remembered seeing as she told him about it months ago. And lastly, she's furious that he would even bring it up.

"I'm fine, Klaus. Look, just mind your own business. Don't try to act like we're friends when you know damn well we aren't anymore," the anger bubbles over and she can't control what she's saying before it slips.

He narrows his eyes, frowning. "I didn't know you felt that way."

"I didn't know you were going to bring home your girlfriend that you didn't even have the balls to introduce me to either, so I guess were even on that."

Ouch. Klaus nods, biting his lips with a small sigh. "I am sorry about that, again."

"Whatever, Klaus. It doesn't even matter, now."

But it does.

"Caroline, look at me," he tilts her chin up, those familiar baby blue eyes meeting his. "I'm sorry."

Her breath catches in her throat, unable to speak or look away. She shakes her head, catching grip of reality. "I have to go."

"Caroline, wait-"

"Just leave me alone, Klaus! For once, can't you just do that?" she asks, opening the door and practically running to her car.

He sighs, letting her go.

• • •

XoXo