Thirteen

November, 3 Months Later

Caroline and Klaus had talked for two weeks once he moved to Paris before the talking stopped altogether. The two grew apart and couldn't find a reason of why they should continue speaking when he was across the world from her.

They knew it was bound to happen. That's why they broke up in the first place, after all. Caroline can't help thinking about what it would be like if he decided to stay, though. Sometimes it clouds her mind. The thought of him...

"Care?" Kol snaps his fingers impatiently with an eyebrow arched. "What'd you get for question four?"

"Hm? Oh, sorry," Caroline checks her paper. "I got thirty six."

Kol eyes his friend before nodding, "me too."

He can't help worrying about her. It's been months since his brother and she last broke up, but he knows it still hurts her deep down.

"You okay?" he asks.

Silence fills the room.

"Yeah, why?" she asks, avoiding the obvious.

He shrugs, "just checking. December is coming up and you know..."

Caroline frowns, knowing exactly what he is hinting at but not wanting to say it out loud. "No, what?"

Kol sighs, "Klaus is coming home for the holidays."

Caroline nods as if she hasn't been thinking of this since he left three months ago.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot," she lies, her eyes focusing back on their math homework.

Kol knows his best friend well enough to where he can tell if she's lying. He sees the pain behind her eyes.

"You don't have to lie to me," he states, almost coming out as a whisper.

She eyes him, debating on trying to argue if she was really lying or not, and finally deciding it's best to stay silent. The two of them get back to work, sharing answers with each other and completing their homework in which they share a class together in.

"Bonnie told me she loved me last night and I didn't say anything back," Kol states out of the blue.

Caroline stops for a moment, turning to look at him, and continues her work. "Oh?"

Kol clears his throat, "I don't know what to do, Care!"

"Well do you love her?"

"Of course I do."

Caroline laughs, "so why not, oh I don't know, tell her how you feel?"

Kol rolls his eyes. "It's not that easy. I've never been in love with someone before. Well, not counting you obviously."

Caroline looks at him, this information new to her. She knew Kol liked her, but loved? That was new.

Kol continues, "So basically, I don't know what to do. If I tell her, then things are gonna start getting serious. Like, super serious."

"Don't you want that, though?"

"Do I? I don't know! It's scary, you know? You never know. What happens if you put all your feelings out on the table and end up with your heart getting broken? It would suck," Kol shakes his head with a sigh, only realizing what he had just said when he sees the expression on her face.

Caroline frowns, "yeah, it does suck."

He puts his hands out, groaning. "Oh my god, I'm such an idiot. Care, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up. I didn't even think about it I just-"

"Kol, calm down. It's okay. It's been months since Klaus and I ended things. I'm okay now, alright? I don't want you to feel like you can't tell me this stuff because my feelings might get hurt. I'm a big girl, I can handle it," she shrugs, but they both know deep down the truth. Caroline is, and never will be, over Klaus.

• • •

Sorry for taking awhile to update!

Vote and comment your thoughts! :)

XoXo