Teacher's Pet..4..

I tap my foot and stare down at my watch again.

It's five after eight and I'm still waiting for Brad.

Where is he?

He said he'd be here at ten minutes before eight.

I shoot Brad another text saying, "Where are you?" and scoff.

Ugh! Forget this. I'll just walk my damn self home.

Forget you, Brad.

"Shit!" I gasp as I step out of the building into the night, watching as sheets of rain pour from the sky.

It is raining... hard.

It would rain on the one day I don't drive my car or bring an umbrella.

Fuck my life.

I start mumbling to myself as I walk under the sidewalk covering and peek around the corner.

The rain is not letting up.

It seems it's pouring harder.

Dammit.

How am I ever going to get to my apartment without Brad or an umbrella?

Dammit!

Frustrated, I rub the space between my eyes and make a hasty decision.

"I can't believe this." I sigh, clutching my purse to the front of my body. I prepare for the unanticipated shower I'm about to receive and shake my head. "Say goodbye to all good hair days. Thanks, Brad."

As I'm about to step out into the rain, someone grabs my elbow, and pulls me back on the sidewalk.

I'm about to scream, but stop when I see his angelic face.

"Don't you need an umbrella, Miss Toussaint?" Professor Jackson asks with a smile as rain water rolls off the tip of his nose.

He presents his umbrella to me as I frown.

Why is he wet if he has an umbrella?

I shake away the thought and sigh from relief before nodding.

"Yes, sir, I do." I swallow as he opens the large umbrella. "Thank you, Professor."

"You're very welcome, Miss Toussaint." Professor Jackson smiles more. "We wouldn't want you getting wet and on the first day of class."

My breathing catches when he rests a large hand on the small of my back.

Professor Jackson leads me out into the shower, holding the umbrella perfectly over us.

Not one drop hits us.

"So where's your "friend" Brad?" Professor Jackson asks, ending the silence, but his tone is one of mocking. "He was all for defending your honor earlier, but he's nowhere to be found when the rain is pouring?"

"Do you have a problem with Brad, Professor?" I retort.

"I have a problem with him wanting to use you for his sexual exploits."

I frown and look up at him. "His sexual exploits? Professor, Brad has not once mentioned sex or anything that has anything to do with sex to me. You're the one who's insinuated."

"I didn't insinuate, Miss Toussaint. I merely stated the facts. Bradley wants your body, and not to donate to science. These are facts."

"Your facts are bullshit, sir." I hiss and Professor Jackson chuckles, leading me across the puddle-ridden parking lot. "Why do you care anyways? You just met me yourself. "

"Wrong. Now you're insinuating, Miss Toussaint."

"How so?"

"I've known you--well known of you," He corrects himself. "since you started working at the Health Department."

I frown then he anchors me and helps me tiptoe through a puddle.

"Since my sophomore year? How?"

"You ran errands for me when I wasn't working on campus. I did online Sex Education at that time."

"You're Mr. Jackson." I point, realizing who he is as we come to a stop. "I never saw you. I always wondered who the man I ran errands for was. Your work ethic was phenomenal, but you never said nice things about me to the department. I thought I was doing something wrong."

"You were great, Miss Toussaint. You got my things to me on time. You were very efficient. If I thought you were horrible; I would have had you fired."

"But you never said anything good about my work for you."

"I'm an asshole." Professor Jackson smiles and shrugs.

I smile back a little. "I beg to differ."

"Why?" His stare smolders and I shiver on the inside.

"An asshole would not have kept me from a rain shower I didn't want... but probably deserved."

"That's to be determined, Miss Toussaint." Professor Jackson mumbles, leading me forward once again. "Where do you live?"

"About five blocks away in a duplex."

"Do you have a roommate?"

"No. I live alone, but my best friend is always over."

"Whitney?" Professor Jackson asks, helping me over another puddle.

"Yes." I smile, devilishly. "Quick! What's her last name?" Professor Jackson shrugs and I shake my head. "Do you only know my last name, Professor?"

"It's the only one I need to know, Miss Toussaint." He makes known.

My eyes widen as we stop beside a black BMW.

"Why is mine the only one you need to know?" I ask as he unlocks the doors.

"Get in." He evades my question as I frown. "I'm gonna drive you home."

"Isn't this against school policy? No fraternizing, remember?"

"It's after hours and you have no ride home, Miss Toussaint." He sighs. "There's nothing wrong with giving a student a ride when they need one."

In what way?

Professor Jackson walks me around to the passenger side of his car and helps me inside.

Seconds later, he's in the driver's seat wiping water from his face.

"Professor, if you had an umbrella..." I begin, staring at him wiping water from his face again. "how and why are you soaked?"

"I left my umbrella here, Miss Toussaint," Professor Jackson begins as he wipes his face once more. "because I didn't think I'd need it. Anyways, when I was leaving from the second floor, I saw you standing under the pavilion. Looking deathly afraid of the rain might I add. So I ran out here, got drenched on the way, grabbed it, and got drenched while coming back for you."

I stare at Professor Jackson in disbelief. "Are you telling me, Professor, that you got soaking wet to keep me from getting soaking wet?"

"Got a problem with it?" Professor Jackson snaps, arching an annoyed brow, as water drips from his hair.

I shake my head, quickly, then he starts the car.