Teacher's Pet..31..

"It's well after 10 pm and the gallery ended at 9!" Brad shouts into the phone as I pull it from my ear. "Where the hell are you, Jenna?"

"First of all," I begin in a calm voice but my emotions are anything but. "calm your ass down, Brad. I'm fine. I'm okay."

"Why the hell would I be calm when I don't know where the hell my girlfriend is?!" Brad continues his shouting as I roll my eyes. "Because she hasn't called, texted me, or come home!"

Michael frowns as he turns from the stove and mouths. "Who's that?"

"Brad." I sigh in response to both of them. "I'm fine. Seriously, I'm okay."

Michael smirks before turning back to the stove.

"Where are you, Jenna?" Brad asks again and he sounds more than indignant.

"Uhh," I cut my eyes from left to right, debating on which lie to tell him. "I'm with Whitney."

"Oh, really?" Brad sucks his teeth and his response is dripping in sarcasm. "You're with Whitney?"

"Yes?" I question myself.

"Aaaaaaannntttt!" Brad makes a buzzer noise. "I just called Whitney and she told me she doesn't know where the hell you are either. One more time, Jenna, where are you?"

"I'm in my skin, Bradley." I reply smartly because I'm over his tone.

"Stop playing with me, Jenna!" Brad growls. His sweet guy routine has flown the coop. "Where the fuck are you?!"

My mouth falls open as I pull the phone from my ear.

"Did he just curse at you?" Michael whispers as he looks at me then at my phone.

Oh, shit.

Michael snatches the phone from my hand before I can pull it from his reach.

SHIT!

"That wasn't very polite, Brad." Michael mutters into my phone. "I think you should apologize to Jenna."

"Michael!" I whisper as I snatch the phone from him. "Hello, Brad?"

"Who was that?" Brad asks in a fury. "Who the hell was that, Jenna!?"

"An old friend." I lie, staring at Michael who is now suppressing a laugh.

"You're with an old friend who knows my name?"

"Yeah," I swallow, nodding. "umm, I told him about you."

"Did you also tell him that you're my girlfriend?"

"Brad," I sigh, feeling bad about my coming words. "I'm not your girlfriend." Brad's end of the phone goes silent as I go on. "We've just been dating, casually. I've never claimed being your girlfriend. Nor have I ever called you my boyfriend."

"I'm not your boyfriend?" Brad asks after a second of silence.

"No."

"So this time we've spent together was--what? Were you just stringing me along, Jenna?"

"No, no, Brad, I wasn't." I run my fingers through my hair as I sigh. "You're a great guy, but at this time I don't need, nor do I want, a boyfriend."

Michael stares at me as I listen to Brad ask. "So what? What does this mean for us, Jenna?"

I open and close my mouth twice before stuttering. "I-I would like it if we could still be friends, Brad. Can we still be friends?"

Brad scoffs at my audacity. "How can I be your friend, Jenna, when you know I want so much more?" I close my eyes, feeling guilty, as he goes on. "So this "old friend" did you meet him at the gallery?"