One: The Stars

It was our summer break before our last year in high school. Ian visited us and stayed at Jess' apartment for a week. I have known them for so long that we treat each other like a family. When I heard that Ian is visiting, I was really excited but, I realized that I still have to work on a few requirements for the upcoming writing competition.

I already saw a lot of students lining up, I sighed and said, "This is gonna be a long day." To be honest, I really do not want to do this. It's just that it was my dad's dream for me to become a successful writer just like him. Yes, I do write poems but that's not enough for me to become one. Like I have a choice, I thought to myself as I walked in the campus and stood behind the last person in the line. While we were waiting, I cannot help but listen to the conversation of the girls in front of me.

"What are you joining?"  One of the girls asked.

"I'm planning to join the writing competition and you?"

"Well, I'm planning to join the arts and design competition."

"Seriously, you can paint?"

"As if! She's probably just joining the competition since Ethan is also joining."

Oh, Ethan, again. I bet you're thinking that he's the typical bad boy that makes everyone go crazy for him. But no, Ethan is the total opposite. He's seen as a reserved guy who knows what he wants to do in life.

"Guys, Ethan is here!"

With that, I noticed a commotion going on outside the arts club room.

"What is it all about?" I said becoming curious of the situation.

The girls all looked at me as their eyes widened. Daniella, one of the girls I know said, "Gabby! Oh it's because of Ethan. Ethan Jackson. He's joining the competition and he has his artwork with him."

I nodded, "And? Wait, does that mean we have to submit anything already?"

"No, the president of the club only required him to do so. Anyway, you're joining? I thought you'll join sports?"

"Yes, Gabby! You're the best swimmer for girls here in our school."

I shrugged, "Well, I wanted to try something new as well. Since, it's our last year."

"What are you joining?"

"Writing Competition."

"Really! I didn't know you have it in you, Gabby!"

I tried to force a smile.

One of the girls butted in, "Hey guys, why don't we look at Ethan's work? Bea told me it was so nice."

Huh. Seriously? Who compliments an artwork as "nice."

Daniella rolled her eyes, "These girls are all over Ethan," she laughed and I shrugged.

Liza smirked, "As if you're not, Daniella!"

I don't know why but I suddenly felt uncomfortable. Eventually, they all went inside the room to look at Ethan's "painting" or just look at Ethan probably.

I went inside the room as well to look at the paintings displayed when I passed by the commotion about Ethan's work. I saw him standing beside his work as he looked at it with passion in his eyes. I smiled to myself. Wait? Why did I just smile? I shook my head and walked closer.

Daniella, "That's just so amazing Ethan!"

"Ethan you have such a great mind!" Liza claimed.

"It's so nice," one of the girls said. I rolled my eyes, nice? Tch.