Ten: The Haven

"Ethan? You surprised me!" I said trying my best not to sound awkward.

I saw how his lips slightly formed a smile but he immediately tried to conceal it, "Did I?"

"Seriously! You're here as well?" I smiled at him as I tried my best to compose myself.

He nodded.

"How are you? We didn't know you'll also choose to study here. I mean there are a lot of greater schools than this," I said.

"Well it's because Daniel goes here so I decided to study here," he said.

"Daniel?" My eyes widened, I mean this day is full of surprises, "You mean, you are Daniel's cousin?" The fact that Ethan is here, it is already a big surprise for me.

"Yes," he smiled.

"Woah, what a small world it is. Didn't you know anything about Jess and Daniel?" I chuckled.

He raised his eyebrows, "Oh so Jess finally got him wrapped in her fingers. She's really something."

I laughed, "I know. Well, it's Jessica."

My gaze fell on the painting again, "You, you painted this right?"

He nodded.

"I knew it," I said as smiled at him. That's when I realized that I sounded so confident.

"Really? How?" he asked with a curious tone in his voice.

"I.. uh.. I am just familiar with your paintings. I mean you're the best painter back in high school," Uh-oh, am I too obvious?

"Well, that's weird. Some of our classmates back then didn't recognize that it was mine," he said.

"Maybe because we're in the same field? I mean we get to understand each other?" I smiled. Seriously, Gab? Your excuses are so lame.

"It's good," he said.

"What?" I sat down on one of the stools while he stood there in front of me.

"That you chose this field. You're the best writer in high school," he claimed.

I laughed, "Am I?" I looked at the painting once again, "You're the only one who believes that," I said, this time, there was sadness in my voice.

"You cannot really do something if you keep doubting yourself. In order to be great at something, you have to start believing in what you can do," as he said those words, I started to feel more comfortable with him.

He walked towards me and sat on the stool beside me.

"Safe haven, you are,
The world stops
with you by my side,
You are, yes it's you."

There was a long moment of silence but it was peaceful.

"Oh, is Daniel not coming back?" I asked Ethan as I tried to break the silence.

He shrugged, "That guy can be mysterious sometimes."

I smiled at him, "Just like you."

We talked about different things and I must say that this is the longest conversation that we ever had in our life.

I immediately shifted from my seat as Ethan's phone suddenly rang. He answered the call and I sat there, curious of who he was talking to.

"Um, that was Daniel. He said he had some errands to do," Ethan said.

I didn't realize that I was holding my breath, "Oh," I chuckled, "That's fine. So, shall we go now?"

Ethan was stunned, "Where?"