new years

summer sat on some couch that was open at the party she had gone to. matt had his arm linked with hers, laying his head on her shoulder. the two were deep into conversation when someone pulled at summer's sleeve and whispered something in her ear. matt had sat up at this point and watched summer walk off with the guy.

matt got a gut feeling that something good wasn't going to come out of this as he started keeping summer in his eye view.

around an hour later summer found her way back to matt and held onto him, having a slight sway in her step.

normally summer would avoid anything that could ruin her body, anybody knew this, but something was off. like something had changed in her mind while her and matt were together. it was bugging him.

the two ended up back on the couch together, summer laying on matt's shoulder, nonstop talking. matt could listen to her talk for hours, watching the time on his phone. there was about 45 more minutes until the clock struck 12:00 signaling the new year starting. matt wrapped an arm around summer, pulling her body closer to his, and rubbing her shoulder with his thumb. summer was more than comfortable.

about five minutes to the clock hitting 12:00, everyone began to crowd into the living room, which made space tighter than usual. summer was still talking matt's ears off but he couldn't care less. summer started talking to matt about not ever having a kiss on new years and how she felt left out all the time because everyone always had their "boo."

it hit the 10 second mark and everyone was counting down. matt and summer had left the living room and were outside, sitting by the pool. it was contently silent as they both listened to everyone count down. matt was holding summer's hand, listening to fireworks go off further down the neighborhood street.

matt watched more fireworks go off, lighting up summer's face with multiple colors as she watched them go off. he felt her grip his hand a bit tighter, summer noticing that he was staring at her. she turned back to watch the sky light up for another minute or so. matt was contemplating too many things in his head. he didn't know what to say.

"happy new years, matt." summer spoke in a gentle voice, as if she were to raise her voice, something would shatter. matt felt his face heat up for the first time in a while.

"happy new years, summer."

matt drove summer home, deciding that the best thing to make sure she was safe was to stay over. summer was upstairs changing while matt sat on the couch, scrolling through their old messages. summer walked back downstairs, walking into the kitchen to get a water bottle. matt got up from the couch and walked up behind summer, scaring all things good out of her.

"what was that for?" summer closed the water bottle that was in her hand, crossing her arms.

"i'm so sorry summer i, i just wanted to check on you." matt pronounced the end of his sentence slower and quieter than the rest.

"it's.. fine. it's just water, matt." summer watched as his demeanor changed to seem calmer.

the two of them watched movies on the couch until they both were asleep.

summer woke up in her bed, feeling the indention on the spot next to her. she rubbed her eyes, getting up and starting her day. matt was nowhere to be found in the house, so summer assumed her left before she had gotten up.

summer stared at the flowers sitting on the table from ciaran, feeling tears well in her eyes. flowers reminded summer of when she'd pick the dandelions from the backyard and give them to her mom.

mom.

summer missed her more than ever.

summer walked back upstairs, texting matt.

text to matty b: hi i know u just left but do u think it would b ok if i called you????

matty b: im getting breakfast ill be back in 7-10 minutes, is that ok?

text to matty b: sure :)

summer and matt ate breakfast together, joking around at the kitchen table. summer had brought up the time he tried to call her out for not being able to skate at least five times already and she didn't plan on stopping anytime soon. matt was telling summer about how he used to ride scooters before he learned how to skate, and summer just lost it to the thought of matt riding a scooter.

after they cleaned up, matt went home and summer straightened up the rest of the house before her dad got back tomorrow. she went up to her room, stretching and tossing her phone onto her bed

it couldn't get any better than this, could it?

HI!!! so first of all i wanna say thank u <3 for 2k reads. ive rewritten this chapter like twice and if there are any like.... really bad typos im writing this at 5 am. i never said anything about 1k because i was focusing on other things at the time but really!! thank you for reading bitch :P its my fav thing i work on sometimes. xoxo ——matti :3