{38}

7 months later.

"You can do it baby" I spoke, kissing her head as we stood at the schools entrance with hundreds of other teenagers and parents.

After a long ass summer- we were back.

I held Ivory close to me, making sure to watch her reactions as we all waited to go into the school to start her senior year.

I gave her the option to go to a different school- she didn't want to.

She had developed a few friends through some counseling and physical therapy groups- and she was strong, stronger than I had ever seen.

In the parking lot stood cameras and people- all focused on the large amount of kids.

There was four ambulances on stand by- multiple more ready for any anxiety attacks or kids who just couldn't face the school yet- I was worried Ivory was one of them.

We had over a hundred doctors pulled from different hospitals nearby- most voluntarily like the guys and myself.

"I'd like to announce" the principal spoke, standing in front of the door.

"We've came a very long way- and I'm so proud of each and every one of you for coming back, you're all so very brave" he spoke- nothing but the truth.

"We've spent months repairing and preparing our school- and we've taken the extra precautions that we lacked before"

"So parents, doctors and staff- please feel free to stay all day if you'd like, we're sure we could use the help, students take your time and just know that you're safe- this is something we all have to grow with, you may now enter"

He stepped to the side- no one jumping to start the movement of people.

I saw Ivory look to one of her friends, Derek before looking to another, Lane.

She intertwined their arms, glancing to make sure I was behind her, and my baby was the first person into the building.

Claps emerged from the crowd as the four of us- along with a few other doctors entered the school, us all watching over everyone.

I followed Ivory, who held the boys as if her life depended on them.

But they held her right back- just as scared as she was.

They stopped at a table set up- getting their schedules.

They all compared- listing the classes they had together.

The boys separated- hugging her quickly.

"What's your first hour?" I asked, seeing her eyes meet mine.

"Art- down sophomore hall" She exhaled.

I knew what that meant- we all did.

"Well that's okay" Luke spoke for me.

"Let's walk you there"

Ivory.

I was clammy- almost sweating as we walked slow, the guys speaking to people as we made our way to the dreaded hall.

The hall I saw all the dead people down- the hall I told myself I would avoid.

We reached the doors, one was open and one was shut.

I stopped for a second- watching people walk through the doors as if it was nothing.

They didn't know.

"If it's too early you don't have-" "I want to" I cleared my throat, looking to my overly concerned dad.

"Just give me a second" I exhaled- seeing them nod.

I saw one girl break down sobbing right across the hall from me- her mom immediately pulling her into a hug.

Michael moved towards them- resting his hand on her back and directing her on how to breathe, which I almost forgot how to do.

"I'm good" I nodded out, looking to them.

The three of them nodded back to me, and I took my Dad's arm, letting him lead me through the door.

The hall was empty- but every time I blinked, it was almost like I saw them- the people- the little boy- the gun- the blood.

Ashton.

I watched her the entire time- seeing her eyes scanning the hall.

She blinked rapidly- I assumed she was trying to blink her tears away.

"I see it still-" "it's a form of PTSD" I explained slowly, wrapping my arm around her.

"It's not here, it's just your brain" I spoke, kissing her head.

"The hallway is clean- just normal kids and their parents, just like you" I spoke as we entered the class room assigned to her.

I could see the anxiety written on her face- but she was holding it in so much, I was so surprised that she wasn't struggling to breathe.

She watched every person walk into the classroom before the teacher entered, telling us to pull a chair up wherever we would like, not wanting us standing awkwardly.

"I am Mr.Coleman- I'm new to this school and I'm very excited for the year"

"I understand that each of you have lived through a traumatic experience and I wish that it would've never happened- I'd do anything to take it away from you guys"

I watched Ivory shake her knee, she was so- just uncomfortable.

"I love you" I whispered- touching my forehead to her cheekbone as the teacher spoke.

"I love you more" her voice cracked

Ivory.

My dad was being my protection today

He couldn't be here tomorrow

So what would that mean?

Am I capable of doing this alone?