1

I walked around my house barefoot. I lived about three miles out of Gotham and in the middle of the woods it seemed like. My walls were mostly glass and no one really came out this far. The occasional lost car, but my driveway was half a mile long so it wasn't like anyone would see the house. No one knew I was here. Hidden in the trees I had peace.

Before this, it was tight apartments, always moving. One of the finest hit-women anywhere. I don't miss it. Chaos, no friends, the weight it carries. It wasn't good for me. I fell into a steep downhill slope and seeing myself like that, someone I never wanted to be, made me drop everything and leave it where it was. I had friends, Oswald, Victor, the occasional citizen. Victor was the hardest to cut off, he was determined I would get hurt if I left everything, but here I was two years later, safe and sound. 

At least that's what I thought until the outside security alarms went off. I saw three men in all black walking around my house. I got down and grabbed the gun taped under the counter. I stood and looked to where they were silently, but something came down hard on the back of my head, making black spots cloud my vision. I was trapped. "Told you, you would get hurt." I heard the familiar voice behind me as my body hit the floor. I blacked out and faded away. 

*******************************time****hop****************************************************

I woke up tied to a chair, I struggled at the restraints. When my eyes opened, Carmen sat in front of me. Carmen Falcone. I gulped, I left his service without letting him know. I'm sure he was pissed but who knows, but judging by my current position it wasn't going to be a friendly talk. 

"Kate, kate, kate." he said in a deep breath. "You thought you could run and my men wouldn't find you." I swallowed and looked down at my lap, nervous. "Well, I am not going to kill you. Gotham is in trouble, I am being hunted basically, driven out. So I am calling on my best men, well and you." I looked back up at him. "So you want me to come back to work?" I asked, quietly. He nodded, "yes, but not just yet. Zsasz!" He yelled for his right hand. Victor came out from behind the doorway and made no facial expression. "You know what to do." He said, leaving the room, my eyes faded back to an old friend.

"Vic, I am so-", I was cut off by Victor taking out a new knife, a long blade. He shushed me calmly. He moved closer to me, resting the knife on my cheek. "Kate, you left us. Why?" I closed my eyes, knowing when he had a job, he would do it. "I couldn't do it anymore, Vic you know how it changed me. It wasn't personal." I said, gulping down the fear. A chuckle escaped his lips, "Neither is this." I could feel the blade drag across my cheek, a small pain surrounding it. My eyes shot opened and he held another blank expression. "Vic!" I yelled as he flung the knife down and into my thigh, it stuck out and I yelped, clenching my jaw as much as I could. I felt him lean down to my height in the chair and get inches from my face. 

"You left me, we were close, you were my only friend Kate, how do you think that made me feel?"  He said, putting his hand on the knife. I let out another yelp and he pulled the knife out of my leg and cut the rope holding my hands behind the chair. I screamed and fell out of the chair and onto the ground. I began crying lightly mostly from the pain, but also due to the fact that Victor was my best friend and he was hurting me. He threw down a first aid kit in front of me and began walking away. "We have a dinner tonight to celebrate you being back, don't be late." He said through a clenched jaw, leaving the room.