8

**************************time hop a month **EXTREME VIOLENCE WARNING***********

I had been pregnant for a month and while I didn't have a bump I could feel my stomach tightening and getting ready for stretchy waist bands and oversized shirts. I was on a mission, alone. It was simple and everything was fine. I was in an alley, waiting, playing the part of a druggie waiting to meet my dealer. Everything was fine and I was loaded with guns and ammunition. That was until I felt someone drop down on me from a rooftop and we tumbled to the ground. 

Fists reined down on me and as they stood, kicks landed blows to every unguarded spot on my body, including my stomach which I tried to hard to shield. Finally they fled, coughed and even in the darkness I could feel the blood  trail slowly out of my mouth. There was pain all over and it was hard to pinpoint a specific place that hurt the worst. I pulled myself up on the side of a building and limped my way, screaming out and grunting as far as I could. Falling on the doorstep of the GCPD. I fit my fist on the glass as hard as I could, praying someone was working overtime and would hear me. 

The door opened and a woman gasped, helping me lean on her and pulled me inside. It was the doctor, Lee Tompkins. She helped me to her exam room in the dark and sat me on the bed. I wailed in pain, clutching everything I could. I looked down to see blood covering my pants legs and crotch. I started crying and screaming, though mostly from the intense pains. She stuck and IV in my arm and laid me back, letting morphine flood my body. 

As the pain started to be pulled away by heavy medication, I looked up at her as she inspected the bruises and marks over my body. "You didn't tell me I was pregnant." I said softly. She gave a questioning hum and looked at me. "Last time I was here. When I got shot. You didn't pay close enough attention, why? Is it because I am a criminal? A killer?" She locked eyes with me and looked over my body slowly. "no, I would never, I-" I cut her off, "It's okay. I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore.. right?" She gave me a sympathetic look. "Kate, I am truly so sorry." I nodded and shrugged off the tears. "Can I give you a ride home?" She asked. Not feeling like dragging my broken body down the street I nodded and she helped me into clean clothes and out to her car. 

"You live here?" She asked stopping outside the apartment building. "No, Zsasz does." I mumbled, knowing he was waiting for me inside. "Kate, was it his baby?" She asked. I stayed facing out the window, looking at the window he was probably staring out right now. "Yes. Thank you for the ride." I said climbing out of the car and limping to the stairs. When I got to our door I stopped in front of it. He was going to be mad that I didn't call him. He was going to want to know why she dropped me off. I took a deep breath and opened the door, it flew open and he was on the other side of it. "Where were you?" He asked. I was mad. I didn't owe him anything. I threw the bag of my bloody clothes at his feet and stumbled into the bathroom. "Kate what happened?" I didn't answer. "Kate!" He yelled, following me. 

I snapped. "I got my ass kicked. I was pregnant and they killed it! I had a baby, for one month, and someone just took it away from me. And they beat the shit out of me. Dr. Tompkins patched me up and drove me home and all I want to do is sit in the shower and cry so if you could let me do that I would be so grateful!" I screamed, slamming the door and stripping down. I crawled into the shower and staying there for a few hours. Finally I came out and Victor had put out some towels and fresh clothes for me. I crawled into bed and noticed a piece of paper on the night stand. It read, "Kate, I went out. I'll be back in the morning. Yours, Zsasz." I crumbled it up and threw it on the floor, curling myself into a ball and falling asleep. 

When I woke up Zsasz walked through the door with a routine breakfast smoothie. "I'm sorry." He said. I nodded, "Where did you go last night?" I asked taking a sip. "To kill your target, let off some steam." He replied. I nodded. "So, can I ask one question?" I nodded. "Was it mine?" I gave him a long look and nodded. His eyes fell to the ground and he walked out of the room. I heard things breaking and holes being punched in the walls. "GOD DAMMIT!" He screamed. When he walked back in he was silent. He wrapped me in a hug.