The Ivy League Part 11

"You have to WHAT?" asked Jake in amusement.

"Stop smiling!" I shouted at him. "I have to be in the stupid play as my punishment and take Ellen's spot!"

"Well that's not so bad," he said consolingly, fighting to keep his face straight.

"Yes, it freaking is! I hate plays!"

"Will you tell me why?"

"No," I growled, crossing my arms and pouting. We were standing outside the school, waiting for Larry to pick me and Jake up, since he was coming over to tutor.

"Well this play should be memorable," he said, sniggering. "You'll make a good Esmeralda for the hunchback."

"Keep talking and I'll make YOU a hunchback."

"Jeez, you're so violent. I noticed that today in the caf, too." He laughed.

"I have to kiss Nate."

That made his smile disappear in an instant.

"No you don't," he said, suddenly worried.

"Yeah, I do. He's the good soldier or something."

"Who, Nate is?"

"No, I'm going to make out with the horse," I said sarcastically.

"I'd rather that," he said.

"Jacob, fix this!" I yelled in frustration, stomping my foot. Jake raised an eyebrow.

"Did you seriously just stomp your foot like a five year-old?" he asked.

"Yeah, watch, I'll do it again."

I stomped on his foot as hard as I could. "Ow!" he roared, "See what I mean about violent?"

That made me feel a bit better. A soccer ball rolled towards us, stopping at my feet. I glanced up to where the guy had stopped, waiting for me to kick it back. As a way of relieving some more of my feelings, I kicked the ball in the opposite direction.

"Aw, c'mon!" whined the guy.

Jake gave me a look, then jogged to get the ball and kicked it back to the annoyed guy.

"You're obnoxious, you know that?" Jake told me upon his return to where I was still sulking.

"You don't say," I muttered as I got into the Mercedes that pulled up at the curb, and Jake followed.

"How was your day, Larry?" I asked the driver. I was kind of getting fond of him.

"Same as yesterday, miss," he replied, amused. He glanced in the rearview mirror and smiled. "How was yours?"

"TERRIBLE!" I complained, crossing my arms. I had sat through History and Biology II in this state of mind and soul, not to mention I was a complete mess. Jake now picked out a noodle and part of a meatball from my hair.

"You're gross," he told me conversationally.

"And I strongly dislike you," I muttered back darkly. He chuckled.

"Well, the school day is over, miss," Larry comforted me, "and whatever was wrong today, you'll fix tomorrow."

"That's right, I will. I just haven't decided how yet."

But I cheered up.

"Why can't you be more like Larry?" I scolded Jake a few minutes later as we made our way into my house. I tripped on the last stair and Jake caught me by the elbow with a sigh.