The Ivy League Part 19

Jake and I pulled into the parking lot just as the warning bell rang. Penguins. I had five minutes to get to English class. 

"Hey, Jake?" I said, frowning, one hand on the door as he picked up his stuff. 

"Yeah?" he said absently, searching for his calculator. I had it, because I had stolen it yesterday. But I didn't feel the need to bother him with that information. 

"Um, have you seen my cellphone?" 

He paused his search to look at me. "No, sorry. I was otherwise preoccupied yesterday after school." He winced every time he shifted in his seat. 

I didn't even smile, my frown deepening. "I don't remember seeing my phone yesterday." 

He shrugged, giving up on finding his calculator. "Sorry. Where did you see it last?" he asked, getting out of the car. I got out, too. 

I thought hard. "I don't remember!" 

He looked at me, concerned. "Well we're going to be late. Don't worry," he said reassuringly, "it'll be found."  

I bit my lip and nodded reluctantly. Jake turned to go, but then I had a thought. What if this was Jake's payback? Or karma? Maybe I was getting what I deserved. Oh man, this is killing me to do. 

"Jake! JAKE!" I called. Jake turned around, a smile lighting up his face. 

"Yeah?" he asked breathlessly, coming back. 

"Here's your calculator," I said in a small voice, handing it to him. He looked in surprise down into his hand. Then a grin spread across his face. 

"How evil of you." 

"That word is SO over-used," I sniffed, ignoring his compliment. 

"Oh fine," Jake conceded. "Diabolical," he said approvingly, now stowing it away into his bag. 

"Oh, you flatterer," I waved it away, pleased nonetheless. "Now can I please have my phone back?" 

His grin widened. "Nope." 

"You DID steal it! You bastard! Give it back!" 

"Say please." 

"Please," I growled, but only because I was desperate. 

He laughed. "I was kidding, I actually don't have it." 

Then it hit me where I had left it - in the backseat of Grace's car. Annoyed, I socked Jake in the stomach, but it was like punching a cement wall. 

"Oomph, jeez Jake, what did you do? Swallow a brick?" I yelped, massaging my hand. 

"Aw, poor baby. Want me to kiss it better?" he asked wickedly. Scowling, I raised my fist to his face threateningly and he rolled his eyes. 

After a quick hug (I was the one who made it quick, I had a feeling Jake wouldn't have minded being late), he went one way and I went the other, avoiding the teeming front entrance and circling to a side door. At the same time that I began running, hoping not to be late, someone rounded the opposite corner of the building and came pelting right towards me. I was almost at the door, and so was the other person. 

"What the-?" I began to say, slowing down as I caught sight of a mob of screaming girls just rounding the corner, but then I collided with him. 

"Hey!" I began, but he grabbed my arm, pulling me into an open janitorial storage room and slammed the door shut. Someone began pounding on the locked door and I could hear dim shouts. What on earth was going on?