Chapter 4: Sweet Dreams And Nightmares

Nightfall.

The woods are empty and awfully quiet. Not an animal to be heard. Not even a night bird's song to ease the soul.

One can hear the wind swirling in all directions, but not feel it. What kind of place is this?

There he stands, on the ground.

Beaten.

His wounds all over his body, none are healing. The pain is surely there, only if he could feel it, but his senses are not present. What kind of place is this indeed?

A man stands before him, looking down on him and smiling, "here you are again, have you learned your lesson I wonder?" he says to him, arrogantly for sure.

"I..." Felix tries to speak.

"Quiet!" the man struck him again and his face touched the ground. "I know you haven't! You never do!" he yells.

"Why are you doing this to me?" Felix tries to get up from the ground, in vain no doubt.

"Because," he presses his face with his boot, "you chose wrong..."

"Felix."

A warm voice lingers in the air, maybe a small wind, trying to push through.

"Are you all right?" Judit stood before him as he opened his eyes.

"Judit? How?" Felix jumped out of the chair looking scared.

He looked around, he is in his house. Was it all just a dream? The past coming to hunt him?

Or, was it a warning?

"I called your name, you didn't answer, so I shook you..." Judith explained.
"What happened," she looked at him, a stranger she feels so close to her heart.

"I must've fallen asleep..." he responded, his face so estranged as if a ghost was residing there.

"Was it a nightmare?" she searched words to speak, "I thought, well believed, that you don't dream..." she sat down.

"But we do, the sweetest dreams, or the most real scares."

"Well, I'm glad," she smiled kindly, "for the sweet dreams I mean!" she quickly added.

"Hm, I hope so," he looked her tensely, taking the cup of tea off the table.

"I didn't think that my reading will bore you so..."

"It wasn't you, I was just tired... I didn't sleep well," he lowered to drink his tea.

"So you do sleep," she noted.

"We could go days without sleeping, but..." he looked up to face her, "it would take a lot of fuel."

"Blood you mean?" she guessed.

"Yes," he calmly resumed drinking his tea.

"But you don't drink human blood... Why?" she asked him shyly.

"I... It's a long story" he let out a boring breath.

"I have all but time," she closed the book in her hands, "and you do as well."

"Time is all that I have left..." his voice softened, like a pillow, filled with sadness.

"Speaking about it helps..." She tried to light him up, putting the book on the table.

"Wasting time on how I only have time..." small smile escaped on his full lips.

"That's the best!" she smiled heartedly.