The Healer

-----

Jenna

The room was almost completely full. But these people were not the usual I see during meetings. Most of these people did not dress up or wear suits. They were all dressed in black. Some of them had purple streaks in their hair. They don't look like soldiers. They look like warriors.

"Thank you for coming to this meeting today," Katie says. The purple in her crown and vest matches the purple streaked in peoples hair. "All of you coming to this meeting are willing to help protect our world. I know that many of you were in your original countries armies, but fighting here is not going to be like fighting in the usual war." The tall girl behind me sneezes, a loud sound that practically makes me jump out my shoes. A few people grin.

Across the room from me, I see others begin to whisper to each other. It's like a domino effect from there. The people around them join in on the conversation and so does the people around them.

"Guys!" Katie says, noticing everyone not paying her any attention. "I'm talking." She says a little shyly. It was almost like slow motion when I look up at Katie just as she raises her hand, and a silver dagger appears and is thrown onto the other side of the room. Some people gasp, and others just look at Katie, now ready to listen. "Please, stop talking." She says. "I am not going to repeat myself twice and this is important information."

Someone on the other side of the room stands from their seat, looking at Katie with a mixture of fear and awe. "Where did that dagger come from?" He asks.

A light blush comes to Katie's cheeks, the only sign of her nerves, "My pocket. Now, sit down. Please."

"That did not come from your pocket. You just made that dagger appear out of nowhere." He walks away from his seat and walks toward Katie. "Maybe the Smurfs aren't the ones to be afraid of. Maybe, it's you."

Something flashes in Katie's eyes, "You don't have to be afraid of me-."

His dark eyes narrow at her, "I don't believe you."

"If I were dangerous, don't you think I would have destroyed everything already? I wouldn't be trying to help keep humanity existing. If I were dangerous, I wouldn't be bothering to make you people trust me."

"Is she serious?" I hear the person next to me ask someone. "She could be a Smurf. Smurfs can lie about anything and make it look real. I heard rumors that the Empress falls in love with a Smurf; the very thing we're supposed to stay away from."

"Kids these days." The person mutters back.

My back stiffens, and I ignore the comment, wanting so badly to respond but I bite my tongue to keep the words in.

Katie's back straightens even more and she looks almost every person in the eye. Her face almost goes red, and again I see the red blotches growing under her skin. Her eyes show tears, but she keeps them in as she begins shaking. "What's happening?" Someone asks.

"I don't know," Someone else responds. quietly.

I stand from my seat and rush over to her. The blotches go under her eyes and they turn an even brighter red. She lets out a groan. "Katie!"

Her eyes open and she looks at me, red veins almost popping out her eyes. "Help." She whispers.

I look down at my hand and see it turning blue. The events from yesterday happening now. Gently, I raise my hand and press my fingers to her skin. She flinches at first but then leans into my touch. The tip of my finger after a second begins to sting. I flinch as I realize the pain is slowly increasing. The red slowly goes away from her skin and she's left there, barely able to stand.