twenty-one

My eyes peeled open the next morning, my right hand feeling for the warm body that had been sleeping next to me all night. Instead of meeting skin, I felt the cool presence of a cardboard box. Turning with curiosity, a grin spread across my face as I took in the sight of the wrapped gift. A small paper name tag hung from the large red bow set neatly in the center of the top of the box. 

For my Babygirl.

My heart nearly skipped as the note's content reverberated around my skull. Pulling the wrapping paper away from the gift, I ripped open the box and pulled the two pieces of fabric from the bottom. My eyes traveled over the pajama set that had traditional red and white winter print, paired with fluffy white faux fur slippers. Grinning widely as I stretched, I collected my gift in my hands and headed toward the bathroom. Pulling off my clothes, I stepped into the shower and lathered my body in a strawberry scented body wash before massaging coconut shampoo into my hair. After washing the soap off, I turned the knob of the shower off and squeezed the excess water from my hair. I wrapped a warm towel around myself and stepped into my new slippers that I had placed just outside the tub. After I had shaved my legs, brushed my teeth and properly dried off, I pulled the ensemble on and glanced at myself in the mirror.

 After I had shaved my legs, brushed my teeth and properly dried off, I pulled the ensemble on and glanced at myself in the mirror

Adding a touch of makeup to my face, I was just about to start toward the exit of my bedroom when the door began to open. My heart fluttered with the possibility of seeing Niklaus, the mere idea of his eyes sweeping up my body like the always did made my core clench with need. 

"Good morning Daddy-" My heart stopped, my mouth going try as I realized who had actually entered my room. 

"Good morning, my little Lottie, how did you know it was me?" My father grinned, both amused and confused by my shocked expression. 

"I- Uh-" I stumbled with my words, my heart beating rapidly in my chest, but for an entirely different reason. Did Nik know my father would be coming today, is that why he left my bedroom so early? 

"Princess?" My father questioned, stepping forward to take my hand in his. "Is everything okay?" I nodded quickly and squeezed his hand gently, a lopsided smile on my face as I tried to cover up my anxiety. 

"Of course, I'm just so happy to see you!" I beamed, throwing my arms around his neck in a tight hug. Despite the tension building within me, I relaxed into my father's embrace, the very same one that had protected me all of my life. The deep scent of sandalwood and cigars, the comfort of his soft cotton v-neck, his strong arms wrapped around my small frame. I closed my eyes and reveled in the familiarity of our hug. 

"What the fuck!" Another masculine voice sounded from behind us, the very one that I had intended my initial greeting for. My father and I separated, and he placed me behind him. "Oh shit." Nik realized who the man in front of him was, his face going pale. "Talon Maddox." 

"And who are you?" My father growled, his hand on the glock on his hip, preparing for whatever was to happen next. I placed my hand on my fathers, shaking my head as he glanced my way for a mere second.