Chapter 35

Being the self-governing man he was, Billion had studied out of the business field in order to enjoy his unfettered life to the fullest

Being the self-governing man he was, Billion had studied out of the business field in order to enjoy his unfettered life to the fullest. But now, he was certain that karma was out to get him.

His first time behind the desk had been mortally laborious to say the least. Chairing meetings and acquainting himself with heads of staff from the numerous departments, he barely had time for himself or anything personal.

"You handled the meetings well, Miles. Lincoln would be very proud of you." another board of director complimented before following the lot out of the conference room.

Hardly had Billion breathe over the flooding commendations than his phone blaring in his pants pocket. And there was his father's doctor who kept calling him, demanding to speak with him.

Its been four miserable weeks since he arrived in Milan and yet, not once had he gathered the courage to meet the man who was partly behind his emotional misery.

Overly annoyed to even answer his phone, Billion yanked his coat from the seat he had preoccupied during his last meeting and made his way out of the conference room.

He was definitely going to lash out if one more secretary corners him with another file or a meeting schedule. But luckily, no one fell into his hot pot.

As predicted, Amedeo, one of the guards whom he had officially appointed to drive him about, waited with the car when he got to the underground parking lot.

The man's readiness had Billion laughing inwardly.

He had appointed him merely because the guard hardly speaks a full sentence. After their usual exchange of greeting—which was polite nods, they drove off to the hospital. The ride was boring as usual but that did not stop Billion from enjoying some of the breathtaking sights in the City of Milan. 

On a more personal note, there was a far more beautiful person he had to check up on.

Since Milan was five hours ahead of Manhattan, he knew Emery was still at work, and although he was highly tempted to call her, Billion sent a voice note instead.

"Hey sweetie, what have you been up to? I learned someone is turning twenty-three come tomorrow. Call me when you get off work ... Te amo."

Drowned in thoughts of his little beau, the ride to the hospital ended sooner than Billion had expected.

And in spite of its being more than two years since he last saw his father, he was nowhere ready to meet the man. Even if he was comatose.

However, when the elevator stopped on the third floor where his father's private room was situated, Billion had no other choice but to go in. Shutting the door gently behind him, he strolled towards the raised bed.

The beeping of the monitors got deafening all of a sudden. Or it may be due to the fact that his detached mask was now slipping off, and for the first time in a long time, he was seeing the vulnerable side of the man who was once his consort.