Chapter 9

Tyler's POV

I got home past nine. I know I told my dad I would be home before nine but I really don't care what he does to me. He forgot his wife's anniversary again and that's enough for me to be mad.

I entered the house and met him pacing the length and breath of the living room. He looked up when he heard someone enter and glared at me when his eyes met mine.

"Where have you been?!" He snapped at me. I dropped my bag on the chair and plopped down to the sofa.

"I told you before I left. I went out." I simply replied.

"Don't you give me an attitude, young man. Stand up when I'm talking to you." He said, his eyes daring me to do otherwise. I stood up and looked at him.

Dad was a foot taller than me. At 50, he still looked really fit and muscular. The only thing giving his age away were the strands of grey hair on his head and beard.

"I'll repeat myself, dad. I went out." I spoke the words one by one.

"You said you would be back before nine. This is 9:30pm. I tried calling you but you wouldn't pick up and I'm pretty sure you saw my missed calls. Heck, I know you ignored my calls on purpose." He said. I let out a humourless chuckle.

"Yes, I ignored your call on purpose and that was because I was with mum and picking up a call on her anniversary, which you forgot and may I say, again, would be dishonoring her." I folded my hands across my chest.

"I'm your father...." He started.

"And she's is my Mother, my mum and your wife!!!" I snapped and he kept quiet. I moved closer to him. "And I won't dishonour her the way you do." I said through gritted teeth.

It happened so fast. I didn't see it coming. His right hand met my face in a very dirty slap, jerking my face side ways and my palm automatically went to the spot. My gave felt hot all over, I could feel the imprint of his fingers on my skin. I slowly faces him, my hands on my, tears making their way out of my eyes.

"You will not talk to me in that manner, Tyler. As long as I am your father and you remain in this house, under my roof, you will respect me." He snapped. I got angry.

"I have every goddamn right to talk to you in whatever manner I choose because you have done nothing to deserve my respect, dad." I screamed at him and he turned stiff.

"Mum has been gone for six years. Not once have you gone for her anniversary. You always forget." I let out painfully, tears falling from my eyes like a torrent.

"You've forgotten about her." I stated, furiously whipping my tears away, watching as he shook his head in negation.

"No I haven't forgotten her, Tyler!" He snapped.

"Then fücking act like it!" I screamed at him and he veered back in shock, surprised that I had used a swear word in front of me but I couldn't care any less. The worse he could do was slap me again. I continued when he didn't say anything.

"You didn't even mourn her when she died. You completely drowned yourself in work. You didn't even think about me. You never had time for me." The tears I tried to stop kept falling profusely from my eyes.

"I always have time for you. I always pay your school fees..." He started again and I let out a strained laugh,  throwing my hands up frantically, getting frustrated.

He still doesn't get it!!

"Fück school fees! I don't care about that. When last did you ask about my well being? When last did you come to my room to check up on me. You are hardly around. Hell, can you even remember my birthday?" I asked him. He was silent. I let out a sarcastic and sad laugh.