Chapter 10

Tyler's POV

I got down from the car and slung my bag over my shoulder, nodding at the gateman who bowed his head in greeting. Suddenly, I began to hear raised voices coming from inside the house and I didn't need a soothsayer telling me that it was Aunt Kemi and my dad engaging in an argument. I also didn't need a soothsayer to tell me that they were arguing about me.

What is it this time? I asked myself as I made my way into the house, catching both their attention.

"Thank God, he's back." Aunt Kemi said, giving me a small smile while my dad scowled at me instead.

Since our little show down a week ago, things have become tensed between us. We basically stayed out of each other hair and ignored each other like we were plagues. I ate in my room and he ate in his study. Bottom line is, we have become strangers in our own house.

"What's going on?" I asked, dumping my bag on the sette. I heard my dad take a deep breath.

"Debola, calm down." Aunt Kemi said calmly and I looked between them, trying to figure out what was going on. I watched my dad pick up his phone and move towards me. His stance scared me to bits but I tried not to look fazed by it.

"I got a call from you teacher," He started in an awfully calm voice while I frowned in response, trying to remember if maybe I did anything in school or something of that sort.

"I didn't don't anything in school." I quickly defended and he scoffed in reply.

"It would have been better if you got into trouble at school." He replied, his face scrunched in a glare. He rose his phone up. "I got a called from your teacher." He repeated and I swallowed, waiting for him to continue.

"Mr Olayiwola." He revealed and my eyes widened in shock. "His name rings a bell right? He called to let you know that you have been accepted into the Arts College." He deadpan, his glare not wavering.

Fuck!

"I can explain..." I started and he scoffed again in response, shutting me up.

"You can explain? That's all you've got?" He asked incredulously. "How long has this been going on? Were you ever going to tell me?" He asked me and I kept quiet, not knowing how to response.

The truth is that I wasn't going to tell him. The only person I told about it was Aunty Kemi and my friends. I can't believe I never told Mr Olayiwola not to mention it to my Dad. Now he knows and that admission is as good as useless because he will never agree to me studying Art.

"You were never going to tell me, were you?" He asked, bringing me out of my mind trip. I licked my suddenly dry lips. I looked at Aunt Kemi who was silently pleading for me to take it easy.

"No I wasn't." I admitted, looking back my dad who looked shock at my audacity. "Because I knew for a fact that you will not accept me studying Art. Because I knew this would be your reaction." I swung my hand for emphasis.

"What is the matter with you, Tobiloba!" He snapped, calling me by my middle name for the first time in a while. "You have suddenly become so disrespecting and you have dishonoured me so much!" He yelled. I clenched my fist, trying not to loose my shit.

"I have been dishonouring and disrespecting you?!" I snapped back in question. "You have neglected me! Why do you think I didn't tell you anything about me applying for an Art College? You don't even want me doing art!" I snapped back.

"Are you raising your voice at me?! Aunty Kemi, he's raising his voice at me!" He turned to Aunty Kemi who looked at me in a pleading expression.

"Tyler, don't raise your voice at your father. Don't disrespect him." Aunty Kemi chided calmly and I scoffed in response.