TWD [Daryl X Reader]

Imagine getting hurt on a run and Daryl, who is in love with you, gets very protective and wants to see you to make sure you're okay.

. .

. .

You're sitting on a medical table as Siddiq checks you over, he having just finished bandaging your ribs.

"It's not too tight, is it?"

You breathe in and then out, and shake your head. "Nah. It feels good."

"And how's your head?"

"Like I banged it against a window a couple of times as my vehicle rolled." You faintly chuckle and Siddiq grins as he pulls out a pen flashlight to check your pupil reaction.

"Yeah, well you're really lucky. Both in the injury department and that, that stray dog was nearby to keep the walkers away from you."

"If you say so. I still feel like an idiot for having the accident in the first place. The roads are literally void of any traffic, yet I still managed to roll my car."

Siddiq chuckles. "It happens to the best of us. Anyone would have jerked out of the way if a dog ran out in front of them. It's a knee jerk reaction we all have."

"But would anyone have brought said dog home?" You muse.

"Uhhh, no. But it's not like you had a choice in the matter. The dog practically glued himself to your side and followed you home."

"Fair enough. Fingers crossed Rick lets me keep him. He was pretty bad ass in tearing apart the walkers."

Before Siddiq can reply, there's a commotion outside the room. It sounds like a piece of furniture is broken, before the voice of Rick resonates through the door.

"Daryl. Daryl! Calm down."

"Uh oh. The boyfriend just got home."

You swat at Siddiq's chest. "Shut up," you murmur. "You know it's not like that."

"Sure it's not. When are you guys just going to make if official already?"

"When Daryl stops being weird about it."

"Goddammit, Daryl. I told you she's fine. She's just a little banged up."

"Don't tell me she's fine, Rick. I saw her car. I saw the walkers all hanging around!"

You sigh when you realize Daryl won't calm down until he sees you with his own two eyes. "Open the door, Siddiq. Let me talk to him."

Your friend is all too amused to declare you fit to go home as long as you take a week off of strenuous activity. And once you agree, he opens the door.

At first all you see is Rick's back, but then over his shoulder you see Daryl and Jesus. Jesus is holding Daryl back by his arms and Rick has a hand on on Daryl's chest to push him away from the door. But with the door now open, Daryl's gaze immediately meets yours and he stops straining against your friends.

"Hey, Dixon. What's up?" Rick glances over his shoulder and you grin at him. "Heya, Boss. Jesus," you greet them. "It's okay. He can come in."

Rick and Jesus back off, and Daryl enters the room. Siddiq glances between the both of you, he then clearing his throat. "I'll just- I'll give you two a moment."

As Siddiq exits the room, he shuts the door behind him. You raise your eyebrows at Daryl in amusement and then reach for your shirt to put it back on. The moment you cringe because of your injured ribs, Daryl is on the move and placing himself between your parted knees.

"Here. Let me," he grunts.

Smiling, you let Daryl take your shirt and help you into it. You're quite thankful that your shirt is a button-up and easily slide into it with his help in no time. "So what's the verdict? How pissed are 'ya?"

Daryl's hands fall to the outside of your legs as he grips the edge of the table. His face is mere inches from yours and his eyes narrow behind his curtain of hair. "The damn car flipped over on an empty road. What the hell were 'ya thinkin'?"

"I was thinking I didn't wanna smoosh the doggie all over the road, Dixon."

"A mutt? 'Ya risked 'ya life over a damn mutt?" His eyes narrow even further as you sheepishly grin in return. "Y/N.."

"Yeah?"

"Tell me the mutt that nearly killed 'ya ain't the same mutt that is sitting guard outside this buildin'?"

"His name is Seven and you can't hold my wreck against him." Daryl groans and you grasp his face in your hands. "Come on, Grumpy, it's not like he did it on purpose. And besides, he kept me safe afterwards."

"Wouldn't have to have kept 'ya safe if he didn't dart in the road to begin with."

"Aww. He's just a doggie, Daryl. Ease up some."

You squeeze his cheeks a little, giggling as he rolls his eyes. "Whatever. He's your responsibility," he mumbles.

"Knew you'd see reason." You place a smacking kiss to his lips, smirking as he glowers in return and then smooth your thumb across his bottom lip. "Don't look so glum, bub. Everyone knows there's something between us and if they didn't know then, then they know now considering that little scene you caused moments ago. We all know Jesus is the biggest gossip when it comes to who's doing who."

"But we're not-"

You shrug and grin, and then move your arms to settle on Daryl's shoulders while clasping your hands at the back of his neck. "Not yet, but we all know where this is headed. Sooner or later, we're gonna stop hopping from bedroom to bedroom and settle on just one."

"You're annoyin', 'ya know that?"

"Yeah, but you apparently love me sooo.." Daryl snorts and you grin, but before either of you can say anything else there's a sharp bark coming from outside. He grunts and you chuckle quietly. "Maybe we should go and get Seven situated somewhere before Rick kicks him out."

Your arms fall from around Daryl's neck and he steps back as he watches you carefully climb down from the table. "Whatever you say. He's your mutt."

"You say that now, but just you watch. In the coming weeks I can almost guarantee you you're going to be taking Seven out on runs."

"Nah."

And several weeks later, you're glad to have proven Daryl right about him taking 'Seven' out on runs with him. Although you are a bit upset that 'Seven' never truly answered to his name, but rather to 'Dog' that Daryl had taken to gruffly calling him.

Man's best friend indeed.