8 | Eww...My Birthday

"People say I'm a little older this year but they don't know I've never really felt that young." - Uma, Mockingbird

Moodboard by: cherrygraphics

~~~

When I woke up on the 13th, I felt just like I usually did, indifferent. I was just a day older than the last. This was about to be just like every other day, meaningless.

I went to school like normal but was served a grander breakfast than before. Usually, I just had a Hot Pocket or cereal, but this time, I had waffles, bacon, eggs, and toast courtesy of my grandma.

"Eat up and don't be late for school," she cautioned as she sat the plate in front of me.

Instead of going back to bed like she normally did, she enjoyed some eggs and joined me at the table.

"Do you have any tests today?" she asked.

I looked up from my plate in confusion. School and home conversations did not intertwine. If they did, it was every quarter when the school sent home the report cards. Never did she ask about daily occurrences.

"I have 2. One Statistics, the other Gov," I answered before shoving in a forkful of eggs.

"Do you think you're prepared?" she asked.

Hell no.

"Of course, when am I not?" I replied. I took a sip of orange juice to swallow the lie.

"That's my boy," she extolled proudly.

"Technically, I'm one of your daughters' boy, but okay."

"You're the only boy I've raised, so you're my boy. You're the first kid I've seen reach 18."

"But mom was in her 30s when she died. Aunt Rebecca is in her late 40s," I pointed out.

"Rebecca left the house at 17. Your mom wasn't home when she was 18. She moved out and moved in with your dad," she revealed. Her tone darkened when she mentioned my dad.

"And we all know how that worked out," I joked. Yes, I just joked about my parents' deaths.

"Well, even though their relationship was ill-fated, you came out of it."

Like I'm much of an addition to the world.

"That's true. I already know I wasn't planned," I said, my voice monotone.

My grandma began coughing violently at my bluntness. "You were planned by God to be here."

"Mmhmm sure."

"You're always so negative, even when it's your 18th birthday for crying aloud!"

"Birthdays stop being fun when you stop being a kid and start being broke. Nothing's changed. I still have to go to school and I still live to see another day. The only difference is I'm closer to death and I can vote in an election that's two years away."

"When has living to see another day been a bad thing?" she questioned, probably suspecting my mental state.

~~~

I returned from school and was reminded of that stupid dance thing I was supposed to go to. In between the time I was supposed to be there and the time I got home, I did some homework. I'd rather do that work than waste an hour of my life.

I couldn't remember if it was just a practice or some type of competition. Either way, I was preparing myself for a snoozefest and potentially some family drama.

Once we got to the venue which was about 5 minutes away from the house, we found a seat in the auditorium. We were definitely at a competition. My uncle thanked us for coming while his daughter was yet to grace the stage.

Once she did, she was surrounded by the other girls on the team. It was some type of contemporary dance that involved flexibility that four-year-old me might've had. There were no noticeable mistakes, but I didn't know shit about dancing.

At one point they all rolled on the ground and I thought something had gone wrong, then I noticed it was part of the planned choreography. From my seat, I couldn't distinguish one face from the other.

A girl from my cousin's team performed a solo, which my family members did not like. Apparently, my cousin was supposed to be the one performing it, but in my eyes, the girl was doing a pretty good job.

At the end, the awards were announced. The team got 3rd place in their age and genre category. The girl's solo placed 2nd overall. Not bad.

The girls left the stage and joined their parents in the audience. My uncle wasted no time congratulating his daughter, as a good father would. As everyone else delved into conversations, I found myself looking around the space.

My eyes landed on the girl I defended on Sunday. In her hand, she carried a 2nd place trophy. Our eyes met and I quickly looked away out of embarrassment.

She approached me. "You're Adrian, right?"

"Maybe," I replied. "How do you know my name?"

"I asked my friend, Brielle. She said that you go to Central Annapolis with her."

"I do, but I never talked to her."

"Well, I'm glad she knew the name of my defender," she smiled. "By the way, my name's Avery."

Avery. The name of the girl I gave many glances.

"Well, Avery, I think I'm not so much of a defender. I just don't like racists because I'm a somewhat decent person."

"Somewhat? You're more decent than a good amount."

"True, but there's always someone better out there," I said.

She began touching her hair, trying to take down the bun. With only one hand free, it seemed to be a little difficult so, I offered to hold that solo award.

"Sorry, these faux locs can be a little heavy on my head when they're put up," she explained.

"It's nothing. You wouldn't want a graceful ballerina's neck to hurt."

"I actually suck at ballet, but I see what you're saying. Anyway, I just want to thank you for standing up for me when you didn't even know me."

"It's really nothing."

"Nah, I feel like I have to make it even with something."

"That's not necesar-"

She cut me off. "I might go to IHOP when I get out of here. Maybe I can pay you back over some pancakes."

Well, I can't refuse IHOP. Especially not on my birthday.

☠A/N☠

Just wanted to thank everyone for 500 reads! We hit it so fast! Anyway, I have a next day update because of a snow day. This week will be busy for me so, if I'm behind schedule, that's why.