31 | Secrecy

"We all want a teenage fantasy. Want it when we can't have it." - Jorja Smith, Teenage Fantasy

~~~

The snow melted over the course of a few days. Classes resumed and so did the presence of Brielle. She wasn't a bad person to be around anymore, but she made me feel uneasy. I was still determining if that feeling was legitimate or a product of my overthinking.

I encouraged the latter since it required less action. It wasn't my job to talk to Brielle about my overactive mind since it was an internal issue. If my odd hunch had solid reasoning behind it then I knew that I'd have to talk to her about it. That was something that I could do without.

Also, I needed to be in good graces with Avery since Valentine's Day was days away. Accusing her best friend of something she may or may not have done would not make this weary situation any better.

The forensics teacher passed back our tests from a week earlier. After almost a month in her class, and receiving an F on my first test, I realized that I could not cram or go into her tests blindly. After I actually opened my notes before the test, my test scores were A's. Who would've thought?

Brielle got hers handed back folded. It didn't take a genius to know what her score was.

"A 45?" She exclaimed in disbelief. "Ms. Williams, why?"

"Because you've earned a 45. I didn't think I'd have to tell you this as a senior."

Once the teacher had walked away, Brielle rolled her eyes hard enough for them to fall out. I put my test away in my folder, wanting to avoid the wrath of her. She always commended me on my test scores but usually preceded them with a "nerd" remark.

"Jeez, my grade in this class is gonna piss off my parents," she sighed. I didn't know what to say with empathy not being my forte. Especially, my empathy for people who don't try to improve themselves.

Even though I wasn't responding to anything she was releasing into public knowledge, she continued to talk.

"...and I still have that burn test lab that I need to make up. And I have that worksheet to turn in," she listed aimlessly.

"Just do the damn lab and turn in the work. It's not that hard," I said, deciding not to ignore her anymore. "Just talking about it isn't going to do shit to your D."

Shit, my lack of filter was showing. Knowing Brielle, I prepared myself to see a teary-eyed girl. She sure could dish a lot, but the brunette had the emotional fragility of Kim Kardashian. Her temper could also use some work.

Against the odds, she stood up from the table and walked over to Ms. Williams' desk. I heard her say something about the lab. Then, I heard my name coming from Ms. Williams' lips.

"Adrian, would you help her with the lab?" She asked. "I know you already did it, but she needs a partner."

"Okay," I answered. What was I supposed to say? No?

"Thanks. You don't have to do another lab report, of course. Just aid in helping."

"Understood."

Brielle and I followed Ms. Williams out the door to get to the lab. She gave us the fabric samples needed to test, matches and a candle. The purpose was to identify fabrics based on the smell and appearance of them when lit.

A teacher was in there grading papers, but he agreed that he'd put that to the side in order to monitor the lab. He didn't even glance over at us. Yet again, he didn't really have a purpose to since we weren't breaking anything.

"So, like how do I do this?" She asked with her goggles on. I knew she wasn't really that ditzy. Ms. William's had just explained it in a simple two sentences.

"So, these are the fabric samples," I said, referring to the textile pieces laid out on the table. "Light one with the candle and record any smells or changes in appearance. If it smells like chemicals when lit or melts, then it's a type of synthetic material like nylon. Anything else is probably some type of natural fiber like cotton or wool."

"Gotcha, thanks."

I lit the candle with a flimsy match. I considered my job to be done at that point. I was just damage control. With a shaky hand, she grabbed the first sample with the forceps and dipped it in the flame. It melted and gave off a chemical smell, which meant it was synthetic.

That process was repeated for the other five pieces. The other ones were presumed to be natural. The last one when lit burned quickly. My "partner" wasn't paying attention. I grabbed her hand and dunked it into the beaker of water. She winced in delayed pain.

"You burned yourself," I stated, letting go of her hand. "I recommend you go to the nurse."

She stormed out of the lab and walked over to the nurse's office. I followed her with a bit of distance, not knowing whether I wanted to go back to class or not.

"Could you wait for me?" she asked, about to enter the room. "It'll only be for a minute. You know how the nurse is."

So, I decided to wait. I'd do anything to get out of the boring lectures the teacher would give about the upcoming section. Most slept through her talking anyway.

A minute later, Brielle came out with her hand wrapped in a bandage as well as a latex glove filled with ice in her hand.

"Thanks for looking out for me," she said, applying the glove to her hand.

"I mean, I didn't want anyone to get hurt so that's why I dumped your hand in that water," I reminded. It wasn't anything personal.

What happened in the next second would make me regret ever trying to help anyone.

She kissed my lips in an unmistakable way. She couldn't say that the kiss was an accident. She deliberately got on her tippy toes and kissed me. It happened so quick that part of me was in denial that the kiss with Brielle even happened.

I pushed her away for obvious reasons. She staggered, taking a couple of steps back. Once she'd regained her balance, she looked at me with regret in her brown eyes. I wondered what had infiltrated her mind to even conjure up such an impulsion.

I wiped my lips with my hand, wanting to erase the feeling of her plump lips.

"Brielle, what the fuck?" I exclaimed. She seemed to have remorse for what she did, but that still didn't mean anything. A cheater with remorse still cheated.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered, nervously pacing.

"I have a girlfriend who is also your best friend. What you just pulled was wrong on so many levels."

"In hindsight, yeah, that wasn't the smartest of my ideas, but I already said I'm sorry. I could've done worse."

I looked at her like she had two heads. Was this bitch getting any of what I was saying through her thick skull?

"Are you dumb or are you stupid?" I rhetorically asked. "Just because you could've done worse doesn't mean you did anything good."

"Well, you were sending me all types of mixed signals. I thought you liked me and-" she attempted to explain. This was the first time I saw Brielle without her overconfidence. She was just a girl with bad decision-making skills.

"Well, I'm gonna give you a very clear signal. I don't like you. I like Avery and you know that. I'm also dating Avery, which you know."

"I know, I know. It was a mistake and I realize that now. Just don't tell Avery," she advised. The panic was all too present in her voice, yet I still didn't know what to do.

How was I supposed to allow Avery and Brielle to be cool with each other when I knew what Brielle did? I had all the reassurance I needed to show that Brielle was insane, but Avery was unaware of that, of course. Even if I told her about what happened, was she even going to believe me?

This Valentine's Day wasn't going to be great.

A/N

I told y'all that drama was gonna start! Also, next week is my last week of school which means that my updates are going to become more frequent.