30 | Snow Day

"When we get old, will we regret this? Too young to think about all that shit." - Wallows + Clairo, Are You Bored Yet?

~~~

Weeks had passed since that horrendous event. I never apologized to Katelyn and at this point, it was safe to say that she wasn't going to get one. What was I going to be apologizing for anyway? It wasn't outrightly stated, but it could be assumed that I wasn't going to Uncle Jack's events any time soon.

I was going to leave that travesty in January and focus on Avery and I's relationship in February onward. Even though I thought my punch was justified, Avery's condemnation still lingered in my memories. On that night, there was a possibility of losing her.

She looked at me like I was a monster, which was the exact opposite of what I wanted to be.

She made me think about what I was doing. Because even if I thought what I was doing was okay, it could ultimately cost me something or someone of importance in my life.

I didn't want that to happen, of course.

The February weather was harsh as hell, but I didn't mind the school closures. On closure days when the snow wasn't bad enough to avoid driving on, I went over to Avery's house. Her parents were almost never there, given that they still had to find a way to get to work on weekdays.

My grandma didn't care too much about my going to Avery's house. She always told me to "just be safe." I knew what she was referencing to, but I didn't have sex with Avery. It had only been one month since our relationship started so, who was I to impose sex?

Plus, I wasn't going to lie, I was nervous about it. Being an eighteen-year-old virgin was a little embarrassing for me. I didn't value my virginity highly, but I didn't want to lose it in a one night stand. I wanted to lose it to someone that I had a connection with.

I'd been in a relationship before, but I didn't feel anything remotely close to what I felt with Avery. I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't thought about having sex with her, but that didn't matter.

Sex was supposed to be mutual, not coerced. Until she came up to me and said that she was thinking about it too, I wasn't going to be obsessed with it. We were busy with taking things slow and continuing to build a strong foundation for us.

We were also busy with rewatching Friends together, but that's not important.

"So, let's be honest here," Avery commented, her head leaving its rest on my shoulder. "If we were on a break and I had sex with someone, would you be mad about that if we got back together?"

"Well, in Rachel and Ross's case, yeah. Doing that hours after a breakup is just heartless. I understand that Ross said it was meaningless, but how can you even do that when you're in love with someone else?"

"I'd say the same thing," she responded. I didn't know what she was trying to get out of me by asking that question, but I didn't like it. She was trying to analyze me. I had an odd feeling that she'd attempt to use my response to her advantage somehow.

I shifted on the couch to disrupt the discomfort. "Hot chocolate?"

Her brown eyes lit up. "Someone's read my mind."

I left the couch and walked to the Keurig machine. I knew that Avery had a preference for the Dunkin' Donuts hot chocolate K-cups so, I opened the box and popped one into the machine. The machine began to run and fill the pink mug that Avery had insisted I use.

I topped the drink off with a nice swirl of whipped cream. Seriously, it looked like a perfect masterpiece of comfort.

When I went back to the living room with the mug in my hand, Avery's eyebrows furrowed. I wondered what could've been wrong.

"Um, sir, where's your hot chocolate?" She questioned, arms crossing her chest.

"I'm sorry that I don't like watery hot chocolate."

"Although I don't agree with your opinion on K-cup drinks, I do understand where you are coming from," she said. "How about we take a little trip to the grocery store?"

"What? Why?"

"Well, you like the traditional hot chocolate, right?" She asked. To answer, I nodded my head. "There's no traditional hot cocoa in this house, but it is at the grocery store."

"But what about the cup that I made for you? Won't it get cold?

"It'll be waiting for me and if it gets cold, I can just heat it in the microwave. I know you want some so, let's go." She attempted to pull me off the couch, but failed at doing so. My body was stiff and wasn't going anywhere any time soon.

"Ave, there's snow on the roads," I whined, not moving a bit. "It's dangerous."

She stopped her tugging for a second. "And yet, you drove over here on the snow-covered roads."

"Well, that's different. Seeing someone I don't get to see every day is more valuable than a mass-produced powder for a meaningless drink."

Her face softened. "You're right. You don't have to drive over here every single snow day yet, you still do."

Well, love makes someone do some irrational things. Cupid shot me with his arrow and suddenly I saw life through rose-colored glasses. When I was with Avery, it was like nothing else mattered. There was only her and I under the sky; or in this specific moment in time, in the house.

"Seriously though, that's pretty crazy," Avery realized, finally sitting back down. "I never thought about that. I never think about that."

"About the roads?"

"Yeah. Every time school is closed, I imagine you here, cuddled up on my couch. I never even consider the possibility of you not making it because of road conditions." She got visibly upset from what she was saying. The light she had possessed the whole morning was blown out in seconds.

Seeing this, I held her face, caressing her cheek with my thumb. "Don't think like that."

"It's possible though."

"Yeah, but I'm willing to forget that possibility even exists. I'm the one who came up with this idea, not you, so don't feel guilty about it."

She looked up at me with the deep brown eyes that I couldn't get enough of. I was convinced she could see my soul with them. She always managed to unravel my hidden feelings and make them come to the forefront. I saw her unravel in front of my eyes as she leaned in and planted a kiss on my lips. Each kiss left me wanting more from her.

Everything she did left me insatiable.

A/N

I hope you guys enjoyed this fluffy chapter. More drama is coming soon though so, don't get too used to it.

Also, I have a shit ton of work to do over the next two weeks so, if I'm off-schedule over that period of time, that's the reason.