38 | Moving On

"Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where and we don't know where." - Simon + Garfunkel, The Only Living Boy in New York

~~~

School didn't interest me anymore, but I knew that I had to go. My grandma would've skinned me if I skipped a day. Technically, I had been absent for about a week, but I'd already discussed that with the counselor over email.

He replied to it giving his condolences. For once, I didn't feel trivialized by that word. He also used that same email to congratulate me on completing my hours for graduation. I felt a little at ease with that knowledge. In a way, that service requirement saved me.

If I had completed my hours in a different way and earlier than December, I would've never met Avery. I would've never had the delight of feeling her lips against mine. I would've never known what it was like to see life for what it was. I would've never learned how to defeat my me vs. the world mentality.

So, I'd like to thank Mr. Johnson.

One day, my aunt came and picked me up from school. I thought it was something in regards to the will and I guessed correctly. The will had finally been reviewed and confirmed as valid in court. Apparently, my aunt was supposed to execute the will and make sure that my grandma's financial burdens were taken care of.

Once we got to the house, she sat me down and sighed. She could barely stand to look at me.

"You know, kid," she breathed. "You're meant to be here."

I squinted at her, confused about what she was saying. "Be here?"

"Yeah. Don't think that just because this misfortune surrounds you, you're any less. I know I've given you a hard time, but you're gonna do something with your life."

I looked down at the table. "I'll try to do something, but no promises."

"With what I'm about to tell you, you better do something."

I leaned forward in my chair, prepared to listen intently. She pulled the multiple will pages from her briefcase. She flipped to what I thought was a random page, but it wasn't. It was the page that detailed the beneficiaries. I took a quick glance at it before she even laid it on the table. I was the only person on there.

"There were more, but after you turned eighteen, the will was altered." She pushed the papers in my direction. "You can read it."

I held the will in my hands, rubbing the paper between my fingers. As I read the first page, I was reminded of the guardian that I'd lost. Reading "I, Marlene Lawson," brought a tear to my eye.

My aunt noticed that I was becoming upset and took on a soft disposition. "You can just ski-"

"No, I'm gonna read the whole thing!" I insisted.

She sighed and waited until I'd gotten to the beneficiaries page. I saw the following.

Sole Beneficiary: Adrian Brennan

To my grandson, I bequeath ownership of the house and $200,000. Please use this money wisely for college and other expenses.

I looked up from the will, unsure of how to react. My anxiety increased. My heart rate quickened. I felt uneasy. I was given good news, but my body was physically reacting negatively. My hands began to shake so, I dropped the paper on the table.

"This can't be real," I exclaimed, laughing a bit at the end of my sentence.

A smile graced my aunt's plastic face. "It definitely is. There's a signature towards the end. I'd say you've got an angel or two watching over you."