9 | I'll Pay...

"I talk a lot of shit for someone that can't talk." - Still Woozy, Wolfcat

~~~

I told my grandma that I'd be going out to eat with a friend to which she answered "finally."

Unnecessary comment.

So, I left with Avery. We didn't talk much in the car, but it wasn't like much could be said over The Neighbourhood. You can learn a lot about a person based on their taste in music, but her taste didn't match what I thought of her.

Soon, we arrived at the restaurant which wasn't very busy. We sat at a booth and I noticed that Avery looked completely exhausted. Tortured even.

"Is something wrong?" I asked. "Or are you just really tired?"

"Yeah, I'm just tired and hungry."

"Well, the 2nd part can be assumed and won't be lasting for too much longer."

She chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I haven't eaten anything since 11 am."

"I couldn't imagine dancing on an empty stomach."

"You just have to ignore it. Anyway, what brought you to the dance competition? Do you have a little sister?"

"No, my cousin dances on your team. I think her name is Katelyn," I answered.

She rolled her eyes. "Jeez, I'm sorry you're related to that."

"I've never talked to her, but it wouldn't surprise me if she turned out to be a bitch."

"She's always talking about 'my dad does this and my dad does that.' Then, she tried to steal my solo by saying something questioning my commitment to the team."

"Sorry that she tried to do that," I apologized on her behalf. The Lawsons were known to be prideful. An apology didn't come often.

"It's nothing. You're like way different from her. I can tell."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Hopefully a good thing.

"I don't necessarily come from riches. I'm actually broke," I said. I was joking, but I wasn't simultaneously.

Her eyebrows raised with intrigue. "It's better to be broke off of your own doing than to be rich off of your bloodline, I believe."

At that moment, I knew she wasn't like most. I thought most people were idiots, but Avery had what people seemed to be lacking nowadays; common sense.

"Right. Unless someone can pay me to sleep and test mattresses," I joked.

Avery revealed a slight smile. "Are you really that lazy?"

"Yes," I answered. "What can I say, I like to sleep."

"But what do you actually want to do with your life, Adrian?"

"I already told you."

She laughed again. "No, seriously. What do you like to do?"

"I like to watch TV and movies, as well as listening to music," I answered.

"Have you ever thought about doing anything related to that?"

"I can't act, sing or play an instrument."

"I never said that. You know there are people that are behind the camera and behind everyone's favorite overrated people."

"You seem so preoccupied with trying to find me a profession that I've completely forgotten to interrogate you about personal interests."

"I dance. That's my personal interest and enough information about me."

Ok, so she can be a smart ass. Reminds me of someone I know.

"What school do you go to?" I asked.

"Annapolis Harbour School of Fine Arts," she replied.

"So, you actually want to dance for a living? How would you actually live off that?"

"You sound like my mom."

"So, you don't like your mom, which is a quite personal thing in my book."

She rested her arms on the table in response. She was putting herself in defense mode. "Is the analysis of my words necessary?"

"Don't act like you don't do the same, Ms..."

"...Jenkins," she finished.

I laughed. "You don't even know what you just did, do you?"

"What did I just do?"

"All that I need to know about you is in your name. I now know all I need to know about you."

"God forbid you google me and find me dancing," she remarked sarcastically.

She's sarcastic. Reminds me of someone I know.

The waiter came by with our food and Avery wasted no time eating. Well, she ate after she said grace briefly. She didn't actually mutter the words but mouthed them.

In the span of 15 minutes, Avery's breakfast food was gone.

"Wow, you let a girl beat you," she slyly voiced.

"I know right. I might as well just die because I definitely can't live with this hanging over my life."

"That was a little dark, Mr. Lawson."

"That's not my last name, Avery," I informed.

She looked at me like I was lying. In her deep brown eyes, I could tell she was trying to figure me out.

"It's not? Is Katelyn Lawson not your cousin?" she queried, eyes squinted and eyebrows scrunched.

"Maternal cousin. You know, sometimes when women get married, they take their husband's last name."

"I know, but I think that's really stupid. I like my last name and I'll be damned if I let a man take that from me," she asserted. I could tell this social convention was a profound problem to her.

Ok, feminist.

"Do those old people know you feel like that?" I asked.

She scrunched up her eyebrows in confusion. "What old people and that I feel what?"

"Ya know, the ones at the retirement home," I replied. "Do you ever come across anyone that doesn't really like feminists?"

"All the time. I try to talk some sense into 'em, but they unsurprisingly don't budge."

"Well, I've been visiting this woman named Sylvia van Bismark. She's progressive about a lot of topics. I'm sure she wouldn't mind talking to you."

"The one who always talks about her husband?"

"Yes, that one, but she doesn't talk about it so much."

"I'm definitely open to talking to her," she said.

Soon, we were prepared to leave the restaurant, but someone had to pay the bill. Who was going to do it, was the controversial question.

"I'll pay," I offered.

"No, I'll pay," she countered.

"No, allow me."

"But, you don't have to. This isn't like a date."

"Wouldn't a feminist insist to not let the guy pay?"

"Maybe we can take that issue up with Sylvia."

And with that, I knew the old folks' home would become slightly more tolerable.