36 | Pain

"Like a bridge over troubled water, I will ease your mind." - Simon + Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water

~~~

I grabbed my coat and slipped it on quickly. As I exited the house, I heard footsteps behind me. Avery was running after me in just a shirt, leggings, and boots. She wasn't wearing a coat, but it didn't seem like that mattered to her.

In the chilly air, my eyes began to tear up from either the conditions or my emotions.

"You're gonna catch a cold. Go back," I demanded. I could see her slightly shivering and the sight was killing me.

"N-no. I'm g-going with you."

"Avery, you're shivering. You're not coming with me."

"Why not?"

"Go be with your family," I ordered, my voice wavering. My tears weren't exclusively from the elements and I knew it.

"No, I want to be with you."

"Please go back," I reiterated. I finally looked at her, giving her the satisfaction she had wanted.

Staring into my green eyes, she crashed into me. She shivered in my arms while she wiped the tears from my cheeks. I pulled her closer, desperate for her warmth.

"You don't have to see her again," she said into my coat. Her voice was muffled, but still comforting.

"That's not possible as long as we're together."

"I'll make it work, I promise. I'll do something. Just forget that she even exists."

"How the fuck could she say that shit about me?" I asked in disbelief. Tears continued to run down my cheeks in anger. "She has no right to judge me."

"Oh, baby. Don't cry," she pleaded. I noticed her eyes had begun to tear up. "I'm not gonna leave until everything's okay again."

I kissed her forehead. "In that case, get in the car."

"I'm driving. You can't drive like this," she asserted, grabbing my keys out of my hand. I stared at her in disbelief.

"Since when can you drive?"

"I've known how to since I was 16. I just needed an excuse to talk to you more so, I acted like I needed a ride."

All I could do was smile. I was given another thing that solidified what I felt about her. As she sat in the driver's seat, she had to adjust the seat to her height.

"So, where are we going?"

"Home. I'm tired," I said, rubbing my eyes.

"You look tired," she observed.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Shut up." She smiled. "Let's get you home."

Before I could appreciate what Avery was risking for me, my reasoning intervened. If Avery came to my house at this time of night, my grandmother would understandably be flustered.

"My grandma might say something to you," I warned.

"If she kicks me out, then she kicks me out. At least I'll know that I tried to be with you."

"But how will you get home?"

"I'll catch an Uber or something. It's Saturday night, I'm sure I'll be able to catch one."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked for reassurance. She didn't sound too concerned with all the possible outcomes. "Sounds like a whole lot of trouble for nothing."

"It's not for nothing, it's for you," she retorted.

~~~

"Okay, you stay here while I check to see if she's is a killing mood."

Avery laughed. "I highly doubt that she is."

"You never know. Sometimes the book club gets a little heated," I joked.

She nudged me playfully. "Just get in there and come back."

I left the car's safety and entered the den of the lion. The walk from the driveway to the garage door was encouraged by a pep talk coming from my lips. I repeated it until the door was centimeters away from me.

"Okay, so hear me out here!" I shouted into the air, walking into the house lazily. It didn't take me long to realize that the only thing that occupied the house was darkness.

⚠️Trigger warning ahead!⚠️

I walked in the kitchen, turning on a couple lights along the way. Seeing nothing there, I went upstairs. She must've been sleeping. That was the logical conclusion, but my mind couldn't stop creating these alternative inferences.

I stepped in something. I thought it was water. I flicked on a light and was faced with reality. There was blood on my shoes. A trail of blood led me to my grandma's bathroom.

I was scared to enter, but I knew I had to confirm it.

The bathroom seat was covered with blood while my grandma was lifeless on the tile floor. My hands shook, but grasped my phone tightly to type in the three numbers I hated.