Chapter 9

We made it out of the house and started walking around the zoo. It was a little cold because of how early it was in the morning. But I didn't have a major problem with it, I had experienced temperatures much lower back in Texas. It was especially horrible when it snowed. But I saw Robert shivering.

"You're cold?" I asked.

"Very," he said, shaking.

"No way, it's barely cold."

"You come from Texas, so you're experienced with cold weather. I on the other hand, am not very experienced with it. I've never even seen snow," he said, hugging himself.

"Don't you have a hoodie?" I asked.

"I do, but it's back at home. I should have brought it."

"Uhh, aren't there any stores here where you can get merch or something. There's gotta be some hoodies," I asked. 

"Only one's open right now but I don't have any money."

"No problem, I always carry some," I said, scavenging through my pocket.

"Oh, don't bother. I can survive this. And, besides, it's gonna get warmer soon, it's just a wastage of money."

"But you're cold Robert. It's no big deal. Just lead me to the store."

"No, it's fine. Just forget about it."

After quite a bit of convincing he finally agreed to let me buy him a hoodie. As we walked into the store he looked uncomfortable. I knew he didn't like what I was doing but I didn't want him freezing to death.

"You're making a mistake Andrea. You can still back out now," he said in his Australian accent.

"Oh leave it be will you," I said as I made the payment.

After buying it, I handed the hoodie to him. He looked unsure as he put it on. It was only five twenty in the morning and I could understand why it was cold for him.

"Better?" I asked.

"Yeah, thanks," he smiled.

"No problem," I smiled back.

"Come on, let's go see the animals who ruined our sleep first."

"Uh, tigers?" I answered, getting slightly scared.

"Yeah tigers. Okay, I know you're not super confident with animals and everything-" he started.

"How do you know?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yesterday you were uncomfortable near the giraffe."

I was hella embarrassed. Robert noticed it.

"It's no biggie though. Many people are slightly uneasy around animals at the first encounter. But once you get used to them, you'll feel better."

"Tigers first? Are you sure? Isn't that too much of a, uh, well, scary animal to start off with?" I asked, hoping he would change the animal.

"You don't have to worry about anything. I'm your age and nothing has happened to me yet. And I've dealt with them since I was really young even," he said.

"I know, but you have known these animals for so long, I'm pretty sure they're familiar with you now," I replied.

"They're mostly passive. If they do anything, not only me but several other professionals are around to make sure you're safe," he assured me.

"Okay," I forced a smile.

He smiled brightly back and took my hand again. We reached the area where the tigers were. Even after what Robert said, I was still scared enough to wet myself. (im kidding lol) Robert walked ahead of me and knelt down beside the tiger closest to us. (there were a few other people around, talking or interacting with the tigers in some or the other means)