Chapter three

Hey guys. Here's today's update. Hope you like it. English is my second language so forgive me for some grammatical errors 😬

Now, drum roll please.............🥁🥁🥁🥁

Let's take a look at the grown up Valerie😼

********************

I can feel someone looking at me

Present day

Valerie's POV

I hated these annual business galas. Unfortunately, I had to be there since I'm the financial manager. Yeah, I made it and Mom is so proud of me. I made sure I gave some money to the orphanage, and there was a new woman taking care of the orphans.

Most of the people I knew are now all grown up,  and successful since they were also adopted by rich families. As I looked around, all I saw were beautiful girls donned in beautiful dresses that hugged their model-like bodies. I felt like I didn't belong. All this beauty in one place was slowly suffocating me.

As I went to take my seat for the formalities to be said, I felt like someone was looking at me. While I was sitting, I felt that gaze still hadn't left me. I looked around and my eyes looked straight into a pair of stormy grey eyes. His perfectly sculptured face held a smirk that looked like he had an evil plan brewing in his mind.

Funny thing is, it felt as if we were having a staring contest because we stared at each other for quite some time until my mind came back to normal when I heard the clapping from the people as the MC left the stage. Everyone was now conversing and I took this as my time to leave.

As I was about to make it to the exit, a hand tapped my left shoulder and I turned around to see those stormy silver grey eyes looking down at me. This guy is tall, like 6'2 tall while I'm like 5'6. In the woman's world, I'm considered as ranging from average to tall, but standing in front of this guy makes me feel short as I reach his shoulders.

"Hi"

He's got a very good voice. The sexy kind. It's odd that I'm thinking of a man like this

"Hi"

He smirked, and I swear something happened to my anatomy. Something's off. He extended his hand for a shake. He seemed to be here for professional reasons

"I'm Maxwell Grant. And you are......"

"Valerie Williams"

He flashed a wicked grin towards me, making me feel all heated up.

"Nice to meet you. I've never seen you around these parts before"

I just chuckled at his statement.

"I'm not a fan of these things and I come for a short time and leave. I was just about to go now"

"Now it makes sense. I'm usually late to these things. It's more fun then. Right now, it's butt boring"

I couldn't help it. I began to laugh. It was fun to let off some steam, just a little bit of it. I stopped laughing and I realised that he was looking at me, his expression unreadable.

"What?"

He seemed as if he was deep in thought, and what I'd said had brought him back to reality.

"I was just wondering if you would like to go out sometime?"

What!?!? Was he telling me that in a room filled with walking Barbie model bimbos, he wanted to go out with me??

That just made me hysterical. I began to laugh again. Man, this man, had a wicked sense of humour.

"Sorry, Mr Grant, but I don't do dates"

The smirk on his face disappeared, his stormy grey eyes pinning me to the spot.

"Why not?"

"It's complicated"

"Care to talk about it over a cup of coffee? My treat"

Okay, this conversation is now irritating me

"As I said earlier, no need"

"Man, you're a stubborn girl"

My face turned into a wry scrowl

"And you're a persistent man"

He ruffled his hair

"It's just that I'm not used to girls declining my invites"

"Well, I guess you should start getting used to it then."

It seemed as if what I said was kinda funny because he bit his lower lip, suppressing the laugh that wants to explode.

Just then, he became serious and came towards me. We were a mere centimeters apart when he lowered his head towards mine. I freaked out. I didn't know what to do about this. So I just stayed still. He whispered in my ear, his voice held certainty

"Trust me, Vee. I always get what I want"

And with that, he was gone. The air became more chilly and cold. The way he said that, made me remember someone, someone I never wanted to hear or think about. Just thinking about it brought back some old memories that torment me in my dreams, some nights.

I quickly ran to my car, since it was raining. I sat down and ran my hands through my hair, trying to reduce the frustration. After a good five minutes, I drove out and quickly got home, since it was like twenty minute drive. I ran into the house, abandoning my heels in the kitchen.

I went to the bedroom, took my phone and turned it on, to allow messages to come in while I'm bathing. The warm water really helped me relax. I took my phone and saw a few messages from Mom and Mason. I decided that I'll visit Mom the following weekend and I'll just reply Mason's stupid messages

Mason: OMG VEEEE!!!!!!! I've never seen you talking to a man before, and you were actually laughing. Man, I think I was blessed to see that. And btw, he's like super hot!!!!

Me: Mason😒. He's the one who approached me. And, I was laughing that he'd asked me if I wanted to go out with him

Just then, someone called and it was non other than Mason. I answered

Mason: Girl, you gotta say Yes. I'd say yes to that. Have you looked at him, Vee?? If only he was gay........ I've never seen you with a guy, going out and having fun. I've been your friend since college

Me: I don't want to. I'm a career driven woman. I don't need to go to clubs and parties. I'm ok

Mason: You're my best friend. I don't want you being alone, come on. Just go out once, and if you don't like it then you won't do it again.

Me: I've already made up my mind. I'm not goin

Mason: (sighs) Ok Vee. Goodnight

With that, the line went silent. I hated it when he was like this

Mason and I have been friends since college. I still remember the day when I saw him sitting alone during lunch hour. Just after chatting with him that day, I realized that he's gay. I told him that I knew his secret. He was shocked that I still wanted to be friends with him. From then on, we've been inseparable. We went to look for a job at the same company and luckily we got the jobs, and he's my vice.

With my brain disorganized, I went to sleep. Tomorrow was gonna be long day at work.
------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you liked it!!!!!!😸😸😸😸

Don't forget to comment and vote. Love you
🖤🖤🖤🖤

Anyone who's obsessed with James Arthur as I am??🙋🙋🙋🙋🙋🙋🙋

Just love that guys voice🎤