Chapter Twenty-two

Maxwell's POV

I had been texting and calling her for a while now. The messages all showed that they were being received until thirty minutes later when the messages weren't received anymore. The calls weren't going through anymore.

I heaved out a sigh. She doesn't want to see my messages or talk to me. My hair was a rumbled mess since my fingers had been running through it for a while now.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Link looking down at me with regret in his eyes.

"I'm sorry for what I said. If only I'd known, I would've-"

I stood up quickly and grasped his shoulders.

"It's okay. We have to give her the time she wants."

I left him there and went to my room. After sitting on the bed for what seemed like hours, I couldn't help but hold my head in my hands.

What have I done? What if she never wants to be with me again? What if this is the end of us? I can't allow it!! I love her and I was positive that she loved me too.

I went down on my knees and sent a prayer to God, that He not let this beautiful relationship between us die. That no matter what happened, we'd be together forever.

I remembered when I first went to church with her. It was very awkward for me because I felt like an outsider, but it seemed as if God had seen that I was there, feeling uncomfortable. The preacher began to talk about how God was a God of love, and how he accepted anyone into His life, no matter how wrong they'd been before or how much they'd been bad. He was always there waiting for their return, for them to see how alone it was to be without Him, and how it was tough to fight all those battles alone when they had Someone waiting for them, who could take on those burdens instead.

I was convicted then and there, and I had God to thank for bringing such a beautiful angel into my life who'd directed me to Him.

After the prayer, I went out and sat outside in the silence of the house.

The week that followed was just a blur for me, a painful blur. I really couldn't concentrate when it came to work. I was present but absent from the meetings that prevailed. My mind always wandered off back to the woman who'd taken my heart, to the woman who wanted nothing to do with me.

We had only two months left to open the new casino and everyone was rushing about with the work that had to be done. Each time we had a meeting, I only saw Mason who didn't talk to me that much.

Just when we finished another meeting with Homers Inc, I was shocked to see him come to me, his face etched with pure worry and concern.

"Mr Grant, can I have a talk with you? A private one?", he asked looking around.

Furrowing my brows together, I called him to my office. When I'd just closed the door, he suddenly began letting out strings of words that had me at the edge of my seat.

"I've been trying to call Valerie and get in touch with her, but it seems like she's disappeared off the face of the Earth. Texts won't be replied, no one knows where she is. If she's sick, she would tell the boss, but she didn't say anything to him. I called her mother and she said that Valerie hadn't said anything about going to her place. Her old place is deserted. Max....."

He looked at me and my eyes widened at the thought that was running wild in my head.

No...... It couldn't be......

He got her?

I sat down in my chair, my mind blank of any thought right now. He got her and it was all my fault.