Chapter Seventeen

Valerie's POV (eDiTeD)

His lips were firm on mine, and I had no idea what to do about this. To say that I was not expecting this would be an understatement.

But, surprisingly, by instinct, I found myself responding to his kiss. I'd never been kissed before, and I often wondered what it felt like to have someone hold you close to them and kiss you. This was not what I expected. It was hot, yet refreshing at the same time. I moulded into him, and it felt like we were one being, like nothing could seperate us. A kaleidoscope of emotions rippled through me.

After a while, he stopped. I realized that he was breathing heavily, and so was I. He placed his forehead on mine and looked me straight in the eyes. If I thought his eyes couldn't get any darker, I was terribly mistaken.

"I've been wanting to do that for a very long time.", he said holding onto my cheek. I was still too shocked to even master up a proper response. This had happened out of nowhere and I was still collecting myself, to make sure that my voice wouldn't wobble when I had to talk to him again.

"Be my girlfriend."

That sentence brought me back to reality.

What? Did he....just....
I didn't know what to say about that. I wasn't quite acquainted with the notion of being anyone's girlfriend. I never thought I could play that role right, and with what happened to me back then, I didn't think I could open up fully to any man.

"Um, Max-"

He put his index finger on my lips, signalling me to be quiet.

"Please, think about it. I know that it might be too soon, but I want you to think about it. I really do like you, and not in a friendly manner. I think you're the most beautiful person I've ever set my eyes on."

I'd always heard him say it, but with the emotion in his voice, I realized that he meant it, every word. He held onto my cheek and looked me in the eyes again. I blew out a sigh. I couldn't allow my bagagged self to be with him. His life was going great before I was in the picture, now he had to deal with it too.

"Max, I-"

"Please"

He skimmed his nose on my cheeks.

"Okay, I'll think about it.", I whispered.

He looked at me, and gave me a beautiful smile that threatened to stop my heart from beating. He took my right hand, planted a kiss in my palm and intertwined it with his left one. He got up from the bed, pulling me with him.

"Let's go for dinner."

I just nodded and allowed him to lead me to the room. When we got in, Claire was already eating. She looked up, looked at out hands and smirked. Embarrassed, I tried to free my hand from his grasp, but he only tightened the hold.

We sat down and had our dinner. I thanked the chef for making such a wonderful meal. I went to my room and got into the blankets. What Max wanted me to be for him was surprising. I'd seen the types of girls he'd been with on those magazines, tall and slim, blondes, models who were elegant in every way. I was the complete opposite, well, not completely. I was of an average height, with my black unruly hair and I was not even thin. I was thick. I had a prayer, and asked God to show me which way to go when it came to Max and I. I truly didn't know where to go on my own, and I was confident that God would show me where to go with this.

I tossed and turned, I don't know for how long, until I was awoken by my alarm, meaning that I had to go to work now.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️