Chapter Twelve

Valerie's POV

I couldn't sleep. I wouldn't allow myself to

What if he came in the middle of the night and strangled me to death? He could do that. I saw the maniacal look he had in his eyes. I'm so afraid right now, I don't know what to do.

Then I suddenly remembered what I used to do when I was at the orphanage, when I was scared. I went into my closet and looked for my my old suitcase. I found my old Bible in there. It was a little tattered from the use. I went to the page I read every night in that orphanage.

Psalms 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills, from where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and Earth.  He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will not slumber. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand. The sun will not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and coming in from this time forth and forevermore.

After reading this, I had a prayer and I felt a lot better. I should go to church this weekend. I haven't been here for a while.

I got into bed, and it was now 3am, and I shut my eyes. I woke up around five o'clock. I had to go to work today, but the CEO heard of what happened last night, and had told me to not come.

I sat down, and decided to remove the twists I had in my hair. My hair was an afro with a lot of curls in it. After washing the hair, I decided to just leave it as a fro for now.

When I got into the sitting room, Greg was sitting on the couch, playing with his phone.

"Good morning, Greg."

"Morning, miss."

"Call me Valerie, or Vee, whatever makes you feel comfortable."

"Okay then."

I sat down with him and had a lovely conversation with him. He was a thirty-five year old man with a wife and a daughter who's called Emily. He has worked for Max for five years now and he's the most trusted among all his bodyguards.

As I was about to make breakfast for us, I heard a knock at the door. My heartbeat accelerated, and I turned off the stove to go look and see who it was. I tip toed to the door behind Greg, who was already at the door at that time. I looked through the peephole and saw Max standing there, and he seemed to have a laptop and a book in his hands, wearing casual clothes.

What is he doing here?

Greg opened the door for him, and he just looked at me in shock. I know that a lot of people haven't seen me in my afro, and I look like a completely different person, so said the people who had seen me in it. Greg hadn't said anything though. I guess he's used to seeing it.

"Max, what are you doing here so early in the morning? It's not even seven a.m yet."

He just shook his head and then looked at me

"I wanted to make sure that you were okay."

"Um... Greg is already here but okay?"

We just stood there...

"So, am I going to come in or...?"

"Oh, sorry. Get in."

Greg decided to speak at this time

"I'm going to head out, Sir. Have a nice day. Bye, Vee."

"Bye, Greg."

He got in and made himself comfortable on the couch