Chapter Twenty

Maxwell's POV (eDiTeD)

The night I'd had with Vee was beyond bliss. Holding her close, getting to know her better as a person and how she reacts to certain situations.

She was like this beautiful Amazon angel that was personally created for me. I felt it within me that she was the one I had to spend the rest of my life with. The light in my dark gloomy world, where past issues still lurked in the present. She herself had been through a lot, but through all that she became a beautiful rare pearl, that I had set my eyes on, and was now mine. I also belonged to this pearl, but I felt like I was restricting its glow in the deep abyss of my life and all its problems.

She'd come last night, wanting to talk me into going back home with her. Good thing Claire had called me earlier and told me that she was coming, because I had no idea how the conversation would have turned out. I had given myself time to think about it for the little time that I had before she got here, since I didn't want any wrong words to slip out.

I told her that I'd improve but to be honest, I couldn't just change overnight. It was hard already for me to look at them and not think about how they'd never been a part of my life, but now wanted to barge in and make decisions about how I lived my life.  They weren't there for me back then. What did they want now?
A deep frown couldn't help but grow on my lips.

Forgive, my son.

I quickly looked about my office, suddenly having the feeling that I was not alone in the room.

No one was there. It wasn't the phone either. I quickly shook my head. I might be losing it in here.

I had been in two meetings today, and one of them was about the casino project. We had about three months left for the casino to be painted and furnished up. I had expected to see Valerie with the CEO as usual, but she wasn't with them. The meeting was quite boring without her there, and I just wanted it to end quickly.

Going out for lunch seemed to be the best decision for me, since I was hungry and I needed to leave this office. The voice had given me the heebie-jeebies.

After calling May and inviting her to go with me, I left the office. The notion of two more meetings awaiting me after this lunch period really had me sighing in pure exhaustion.

=≠=≠=≠=≠=≠=≠=≠

Opening the door, I had expected to hear the ladies of the house making noise in the living room, watching this Asian series that I didn't know of, and didn't care of either. All that greeted me was a ghostly silence.

"Claire?!? Valerie?!?"

No answer. Now I was full on worried.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs in a loud and quick manner, seeming rushed. I got out of the living room to see Valerie come down with worry written all over her face.

"Valerie, what is it?"

"Your father. He.....he had a heart attack. Hannah told me to tell you about it. We've been trying to call you all day."

I fished out the phone from my pocket and turned it on. I had a bunch of missed calls and messages from Claire. The last message had my hairs standing on end.

Cee: Dad just woke up. He said that he wants to talk to you.

Sent six minutes ago.

Where the power and zeal came from, I don't know. I just remember telling Val to wear something comfortable and pack some clothes for herself while I did the same, and after half an hour, we were already on the jet going to the hospital. If it wasn't for Valerie holding onto my hand, I might have changed my mind about going. I did not think that I would be able to confront him and talk to him.