Chapter Nine

When we got into his office, I couldn't help but look around in awe. His office was by far very modern and glamorous. Everything looked neat and polished. Nothing out of place. Even his table was well organized, unlike my CEO's table, where files are scattered all around and everything is in disarray.

"Take a seat, Valerie."

"Thank you."

After he was comfortable and had a cup of black coffee in front of him, he said,
"Well, do what you're here for. Tell me what I need to know."

I took the files and began to explain things to him. He would ask me a question every now and then, but I'd answer him easily without an ounce of doubt within me.

While he was looking at a file that had all he needed to know, excluding the debts we have, I looked outside to see that it was already getting dark. The sun was setting, displaying a beautiful spectrum of colours in the sky. His office really had a good view of it too, due to the floor to ceiling glass wall he had that showed the beauty of the city.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I abruptly looked back at Maxwell who had a small smile on his face. I had been caught not paying attention to him but had put all my attention on a sunset.

"I'm sorry, Mr Grant. I-"
His small smile disappeared.

"I told you to call me Max."

I laid my back on the chair and put one knee on top of another.

"I'd feel more comfortable calling you Mr Grant."

He rolled his eyes, something I didn't think he's ever do.

"Fine then. Well, in order for you to call me Mr Grant, you have to go on a date with me."

I internally scoffed
"Mr Grant, I don't do dates, remember?"

He had a huge smirk on his face.

"This time, you will."

What does he mean??

"What?"

He leans back in his chair, his eyes still in contact with mine.
"There's a file that's missing here. Where is it, Ms Williams?"

My heart beat accelerated in a nanosecond.

Dang! He knows. Act cool.

I put on a plain face

"I don't know what you're talking about."

He stood up from his seat and went around to come to my side of the table.
"Oh, but you do know. I know all about it."

This time, I couldn't hide my surprise. If he knew, he knew. Trying to act dum about it now would only make the situation worse for the company. For a man who knew that he wasn't going to get much profit from the first years of doing this project, he was too calm and this freaked me out the more.

"See? Did you think you could actually hide that from me?! I knew it all along that your company was at the brink of closing down due to the loans it can't pay for at the moment. You think I wouldn't do a background check before meeting up with your firm? I'm not dum. I'm a damn CEO for crying out loud!!"

I flinched when his voice got louder at the end. Now I feel bad. We were about to lie to a partner about the finances of the business. He's definitely not gonna do it now.

"Well, now that we're on the same page, how about that date?"

What?!? Is he seriously talking about going in a date with me after that??

"Mr Grant, I can't poss-"

"Okay then. It's fine. I'll just call your boss and tell him it's your fault that I cancelled this deal."

I stood up quickly, shock and surprise, I'm very sure it was evident on my face right now.

"What?!? Just because I said no?"

This time, his face broadcasted the hugest cheshire grin I'd ever seen, which exposed his laugh lines and a dimple on his left cheek.
"Remember when I told you that I get what I want? Well, this is how, no matter how I do it, I'll get what I want in the end."

I shook my head.

This can't be happening. Not to me of all people!!

"What is it, exactly, that you want, huh?"

"Isn't it obvious? I thought I'd been open about it."

I just kept on looking at him.

"You."

After a moment of silence, I let out a sigh of surrender. I know how much Homers Inc needs this deal, and if a date will make sure that we get it, then, so be it. I looked at him and he was looking at me with a straight face.

"This is not the way to a girl's heart, Mr Grant."

He simply shrugged
"True. But I believe that it's a way to yours."

What!! This man is clearly crazy!!! I don't wanna be with anyone!!

"So, what do you say?"

I thought of all the pros and cons of my current situation, and I made my decision.

"Fine. I'll....go out with........you."

He then let out a small laugh.

"Good. I'll tell you the time but we're going out this weekend."

"Okay."

When I looked outside, the sun was gone, and the stars were slowly making their appearance in the night sky. He also looked outside and saw that it was now dark as well.

"Well, it's dark now. I can't let you go out on your own. I'll take you home."

"What about my car?"

"I'll call a guy who'll bring it to your house."

In the car, there was a silence that was awkward for me. I looked at Maxwell and he seemed to be at peace listening to some music playing that I didn't know of. We got to the front of my apartment and he looked at me.
"Thank you for the ride, Mr Grant."

He offered a small smile

"No need to thank me. Goodnight, Valerie."

"Goodnight, Mr Grant."

I got out of his car and made my way to the front door. As I was looking for my keys, I looked back to see that he hadn't left. He was just looking at something in his hands. Could be his phone, maybe. I found my keys and got it. When I had locked the door, I heard the car leaving the place. He wanted to make sure that I was safe inside the house, so it seems.

As I was about to take the shoes that I'd taken off, I saw a white envelope on the floor.

What is that doing there?

I took it and went to do my usual nightly rituals before getting into bed. I looked at the envelope again. Who could it be from?

I opened it and read it. What it said left me speechless.

I'll be watching you, my beautiful fat daughter. You broke my heart when you told on me. Don't worry, I've got something planned. You better get that man of yours to leave you alone!!!!! You're mine!!!!!

          Non other than your Dad, who's now out of prison.
           }:‑)

†††

Another one💕

Please vote and comment!!! A small contribution of your thoughts help in a huge way for authors🖤. Thanks for reading!! Keep safe during these times and may God protect you!!(✷‿✷)