pt. 34 Presentation

"... We hope you all become excited as we are to present this to you. Thank you."
I was relieved to step aside, joining Jin and our team below the screen that began projecting our promotional video.

We all watched it together. The fruits of our labor coming together on a huge screen.

The photos of Chaeyoung and Jin were ethereal.
The song that played was beautiful.
The melody radiated nostalgia and feelings of bliss which was perfect for the campaign.
I could hear Taehyung's soulful voice, Jungkook and Jimin's harmonizing vocals and above all, Jin's smooth lovely voice.

I felt Jin wipe a tear from my face with a gentle finger.
He took my hand into his. I smiled gratefully; it comforted me.

When the video ended, the lights brightening back up, the crowd applauded.

I felt an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment. My joy was heightened as I saw it reflected on Jin and our team's faces.

We filed off the stage and into a hallway to make room for the next presentation.

"We did it everyone!" Chae Young exclaimed as we all exchanged hugs.

"Mr. Kim Sung Keon wants to see the two of you in the conference room." Lee Gun Ho told Jin and I as he pulled us to the side. "He's with the other board members and the clients."

Jin and I exchanged confused looks.

When we arrived at the conference room, the people inside were in mid-conversation.

Kim Sung Keon abrupted the chatter with an announcement of our arrival.

All eyes fell on Jin and I.

"Thank you for your praise and for your business. We hope to work with you again." Kim Sung Keon told our forgein clients.

They stood and bid farewell, thanking Jin and I on their way out.

"Come." Sung Keon ordered us, gesturing to the end of the table.

We took the empty seats next to each other.

"Our clients were extremely satisfied with what you produced. They will be in contact with us for future endeavors because of this." He told us, obviously satisfied. Then his tone changed, "I was embarrassed having to explain the music choice. I was completely caught off guard."

"My friends and I created it, sir." Jin explained. "We thought it would give our clients a unique edge on their competition."

His father looked at him, his expression blank.

After a moment, he looked to the other board members. "Well, we see that Kim Seokjin is ready to join us on the board." He announced, accepting a folder from a man nearby. He slid it over to Kim Seokjin. "Just fill that paperwork and you can fill your seat as soon as we return to Seoul."

Then, he slid a folder to me.
"Ms. LeRoux, you have more than earned your new position and your raise. You will fill your new role upon return to Seoul as well. The board is unanimous."

I grinned, thanking them all. I excitedly filled my paperwork.

As I signed my final signature, I looked over at Jin.

His pen was in his hand, but he hadn't brought it to paper. His eyes stared blankly at the sheet.

I bit my lip. I had to think.

I quickly read through my paperwork again.

"Kim Seokjin." His father's voice was firm. "Your signatures, please."

Jin blinked.

He looked up at his father.
"I don't want this." He told him.

Kim Sung Keon slammed his hand against the table, standing to his feet.
I almost jumped backwards, my heart leaping into my throat.

Jin was unfazed.

"You will do what you are meant to do, Kim Seokjin." His father's voice practically boomed.

Jin's face was turning red from anger.
He opened his mouth to speak.

"Sir.." I peeped like a meek little chick.

Jin did jump then, as if he forgot I was there. He looked at me, anger subsiding in his face.

Kim Sung Keon looked at me as well, his face still very much holding his anger.

I cleared my throat. I found my courage, aided by Jin's gaze toward me.

He looked at me with such... Love. I smiled at him before turning to his father.
"I would like to hire Seokjin." I told his father.

Both father and son nearly choked.

"H-hire him? For what?" Sung Keon demanded.

"For his music. He has personal connections to Suga Productions, the label that produce the song he created for that very successful campaign we just debuted." I explained.

Kim Sung Keon laughed. "His music? That's only a hobby. He will make more with his life as a board member, where he belongs."

"But he doesn't want that." I retorted.

Sung Keon's look almost made me flinch.
Almost.

"He doesn't know what he wants." Kim Sung Keon spat. "He's a selfish, stubborn little boy who refuses to do anything he's told---"

"You're wrong." I interrupted, rising to my feet.
Jin was staring at me, his mouth agape.

"You're wrong." I said more fiercely. My temper was rising, "Kim Seokjin is a dedicated worker. He is focused and driven. He's extremely talented at what he is passionate about and even at things he is not, because he gives every task he is given with his all. Above all, he is undoubtedly loyal, even to you, his father who refuses to understand him."

I had to take a slow breath to calm myself.

Kim Sung Keon looked at me, his expression suddenly thoughtful.
"Don't you think hiring Seokjin would be a conflict of interest?" He asked, his voice soft.

"Why, because I love him?" I snapped.

Oh my God, What did I just say...

I wanted to hide under the table from embarrassment.

I gulped, steadying my breath, avoiding eye contact with Jin. I kept my focus on his father.
"Jin would sign an independent contract that would allow him to pursue his musical interests with Suga Productions but binding any songs I commission for our company to be trademarked for the use of our company only. My love for your son will not be caused for any legal consequences. He would still be under the supervision of Lee Gun Ho, not me."

Kim Sung Keon sat back down, his expression extremely thoughtful.

"With love, there is compromise." I continued, my mouth seeming to run on its own. "When you see that your paths are leading in different directions, you find a way to join them."
I smiled, thinking of Tae.

Kim Sung Keon smiled too.
Well, it was a hint of one.

He sat silent for a long moment.

I looked at each board member, their expressions ranging from shocked to impressed.
I refused to look at Jin, who's stare I could feel to my very core.

"Very well." Kim Sung Keon said, finally.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.
The other members seemed to do the same.

"Leave us." He told them. "You are dismissed as well, Ms. LeRoux. I would like to speak with my son."

I nodded, leaving the room with the other board members.
Before I closed the door behind me, I glanced back.
Jin locked eyes with me, his face reading a million words before I shut the door.

I walked out of the hallway, through the convention center and out onto the pavement by the road outside.
I wrapped the coat I didn't remember grabbing on my way out, tightly around me.

It had started to snow.