The Woman - 9

"...Well?...Who is she?" Dante stood before me, his arms crossed against his chest and foot tapping on the floor impatiently, waiting for me to tell him who Veronica was.

"...I...I-I don't know..."

"Don't lie to me, Samara. You must know her since she knew you were here with me!" I winced at his change of tone. He's right, I do know her. My only problem is finding where to start explaining things to him. I took a deep breath and sighed.

"Okay, yes. I do know her...b-but it's complicated to explain. It's best if she explains it to you instead of me." I look at Dante with uncertainty. He at least has to believe me on that, right? He sighs and shakes his head.

"Fine. At least give her a call back and see what she wants. That's actually the main reason she called here." I nod my head in agreement and took the piece of paper with Veronica's name and phone number. I brought it with me over to the phone and dialed the number. After three rings, a woman answered the phone.

"Hello, Corporate Affairs of the Demonic. How may I assist you?"

"Y-Yes, uh...can I speak with a miss Veronica Cassaway?" The woman on the other end gasped and squealed with joy.

"SAMARA!!! Oh my goodness, I'm so glad to hear from you. I heard from John that you moved in with Dante! Did something happen at home?" I sighed and sat down on top of the desk.

"A lot of stuff happened at the house: my supposed mother fought with me about some "things" I use; I gave her the choices of either giving me up to someone or throw me on the streets; left the house until midnight; went back and got attacked by my old high school crush just like in that dream I had; Dante ended up saving me; I packed my stuff up and moved in with Dante," I said and took a deep breath. Veronica sighed and muttered under her breath.

"How long have you been there for?"

"It's been a few days. He and everyone else started training me to protect myself while I stay here. I met up with everyone and made a plan for me to get into training for a week and a half. We just left Vergil's place today and when we get back home-" Veronica cut in before I could finish.

"-And you guys got ambushed. I know, I had John watch out over you since I'm stuck here doing foreign affairs with our clients." I sighed and shook my head. That would explain Griffon and Leviathan's presence during the attack.

"So, what am I gonna do?"

"Listen, you and Dante do what you normally do. I'm gonna finish up work here and meet with you guys later, hopefully in a few hours or less. Until then, just keep Dante calm and stay inside. Once I'm there, I'll help you explain things to him about you and your past, and what you are." I smiled and nodded.

"Thank you so much, Veronica."

"No problem, sweety. I'll see you later." After saying our goodbyes, I hung up the phone. I turned to Dante who was sitting on the couch, staring at me expectantly.

"So, when are you gonna start talking?" I sulked and crossed my arms.

"Veronica said that once she's done with work at her office she's gonna come over and help me explain things to you...But, once she gets here..." I walked over to the couch and sat next to him. He turned slightly to face me as I looked him dead in the face.

"...you have to promise me you won't freak out and attack her...Okay?" He stares at me for a solid minute, then nods his head. After a few moments of silence, we heard a knock on the door. I looked over at Dante and saw his eyes flicker between their normal crystal blue to blood red. I got up carefully and walked to the door. I knew that it wasn't Vergil, Trish, Nero or Lucia at the door, otherwise Dante would be opening the doors. And his eyes wouldn't have changed their colors. I slowly cracked the doors open to reveal a woman in her late 20s. She had mid length blonde hair, and hazel-green eyes. I recognized her easily and opened the doors to let her inside.

"Well that was quick. I thought you said a few hours, not a couple minutes." I smiled and chuckled as the woman gave me a hug.

"Oh, shut up. It's good to see you too, Samara." We parted our hug and she stepped inside further into the shop as I close the doors behind her. She stops in her tracks and stares at Dante who sat straight up, his eyes staying the blood red they kept flickering to. I stepped beside her and glared at him.

"Dante, I want you to meet Veronica...she's my sister, and also a demon..."