The Feud & the Decision - 13

It's been two weeks since the incident with Dante. Veronica and I still can't figure out what caused him to react the way he did. After he screamed and threatened me to leave, I packed my things and left, tears linking my eyes as I stood outside in the rain confused and pondering over every detail of the scene that happened leading up to Dante becoming furious. Was it something I said? Was it how Aramas reacted to Dante? Or was it because Aramas knew the things Dante only thought I knew about? Either way, I was left abandoned with my past self out in the streets in the dead of night.

     But, since then, I have been living with Vergil at his mansion in his old hometown. Redgrave City: the city that changed the lives of both the twins. The city Sparda once settled down with alongside his human wife Eva and twin sons before leaving them to save humanity from his demon brethren. Their childhood home wasn't too far from Vergil's place. So, from time to time Vergil would head up there to see if he could salvage any valuable items from his and Dante's childhood youth. He tried collecting some of Dante's old things and give them to him as birthday presents, but Dante would turn them down.

     The first thing he salvaged was the family portrait. When he last saw it, it was covered in soot and char from the fire that had been caused by the attacking demons that Mundus sent to kill Eva and the twins. When Vergil brought it back, I decided to clean up the portrait without causing further damage to it that was already done. It was the least I could do for him in return to letting me stay here. Surprisingly, the photo only had a few scratches on the outer frame, but it looked as if it was still in mint condition once I was done cleaning off the grease and soot.

     I smiled at the portrait

     I smiled at the portrait. Eva looked so beautiful, and the boys looked so innocent, though Dante looked like a trouble maker. It still brings tears to my eyes thinking back to how Eva passed away. I shook the painful memory back to the depths of my memory as I hung the portrait above the living room's fireplace. I looked at how Sparda looked like in the portrait and began to giggle. Vergil entered the room from the kitchen corridor and looked at me with curiosity. He walks up and stands next to me, looking back and forth between me and the painting, before finally stopping to rest his eyes upon me.

"What seems to be so funny?" I try to stop giggling, but each time I took a glance at Sparda, they became harder to subdue.

"I'm sorry, Vergil. I don't mean it in disrespect. It's just - pfffft - I never could have imagined until now - hehehehe - that Sparda - Haha hehehe- would look like that!" I couldn't contain it any longer as I burst into laughter. Vergil takes a closer look at the painting and then begins to chuckle.

"I completely forgot he had long hair before having it cut short. I guess he didn't like it either after seeing this," he continues to chuckle and shakes his head as I walk away from the portrait. It was the only way for me to stop laughing and to catch my breath.

"Still...ya gotta admit that looks pretty funny." He nods and sits onto one of his couches, grabbing his old childhood book filled with poems and rhymes. Both the front and back covers had a signature gold V etched into them, almost as if to brand the book that it was Vergil's and his only. I was surprised at how Nero gave it back to him without even starting a single fight. I know Vergil told him to hold onto the book until he got back. He even promised Nero that when he returned, they would have another battle and even promised that he would not lose. So far, it seems to me that Vergil is breaking his promise to his son. Either way, it was a family affair, and I wasn't a part of it.

     After a month has passed, Vergil, Veronica and I haven't heard from Dante for any missions or help. Every time Vergil would leave to go check on him, he would come back bloodied and bruised. I took it that Dante knew I was here, and wanted nothing to do with me still. I felt bad for how Vergil was being treated like this. It felt to me like I was just bad karma and a burden for him, even though he's been training me in placement to what Dante would have been training me, sword-based wise. Nero has taken the extra step in how to incorporate firearm-use alongside swords. Even Nero has taken a few beatings from Dante whenever he stopped by the shop. The last incident took place a few weeks ago, on the one month mark when Dante kicked me out to the curb. Since then, nobody has seen or heard anything. We thought he just went on a mission and didn't want the company of anyone of us around him. At least that was just what the three of us had intended before Lucia stopped by with a manifesto from Morrison.

"...Since the incident with Samara a month ago, Dante has been acting a bit astranged. He would attack Vergil and Nero for no reason whenever they stopped by. I originally thought it was because they were helping Miss Brown in her training and keeping her under their roof since he kicked her out...that was until Patty came to me and Lady in tears...

She said she went to stop by the shop to check in on him, and see if he wanted to go out for lunch. He was laying on his couch, looking like he was peacefully sleeping with a magazine covering his face, just like how he always does. She went up to him and gently tried to wake him when he almost back handed the poor thing. She fell backwards onto the table, cowering from him as he quickly sat up apologizing to her, but not quickly enough as she bursted out the doors. Poor girl...I've never seen her this scared since the Abigail incident...

Either way, it didn't sit too well with Lady. She went to go shoot the fool in the head..but when she got there, the shop was empty of his presence.

It's been like this for the past two weeks. He's usually back within a day or two if he goes on a mission. We even checked his usual spots he goes to for when he doesn't want to be bothered, but he wasn't in any if those places either. But either way, he hasn't come back, and hasn't even returned my calls. He usually responds back to them, so you can understand if I'm coming off a bit concerned.

Please, if you spot him over there, let us know. He's never this quiet when going on missions or when he wants to be in solitude.
Sincerely,
J. D. Morrison"

We all stood and sat around the fireplace and listened to the letter Lucia had received from Morrison. We all shake our heads in concern and ponder in silence as Lucia paces back and forth in front of the fire.

"Morrison is right, Dante is never gone this long on normal missions. The last time I remember him being gone this long was after our battle with Argosax and Arius."

"Yeah, not to mention everything that happened with the Qliphoth tree that my father over there decided to create so he can try to rule over the world with it," Nero stated as he pointed at Vergil, reminding everyone at the close-call apocalypse that happened a year ago because of him. I shook my head and tried to focus on what was happening now with Dante. I know he hated me for Aramas knowing everything, but he needed our help, including mine. Whether he liked it or not.

"Okay, I can only think of two options here." Everyone looks up at me. Trish crossed her arms across her chest and eyes me with suspicion.

"And what exactly would that be, Samara? For all I can think of, he ran off somewhere because of something you did last month."

"I know, Trish, but I don't think that's the reason...Now we can all either sit here on our damn asses and wait for him to magically turn up and explain his absence to us...or, we get up and start searching for him starting at the shop and following his scent from there, seeing if we can follow his tracks." Everyone looked at each other in a silent question on what they should do. It only took a matter of seconds before Vergil and I were already heading out the door, the rest of the group in tow as Morrison, Lady, and Patty stayed behind at the shop to keep and eye out in case he returned without the rest of us. All I knew was that the decision was clear and was made in Vergil's house: we had to find Dante, and fast.