01.

01.

"The man-hunt pursuing Harry Styles is becoming top-priority in the city of Oakson, after finding the mutilated bodies of Nicholas Franklin, Sarah DePandi, and Matthew Gregson in the Red River last night around 18:55. A team of fishermen came across the incredibly disturbing and almost unrecognizable victims as they were pulling in their net, and immediately called authorities. Police confirm that the great Styles has struck again after finding his signature red rose on each of the victims bodies with his name carved into their throats. Although the appearance of Harry Styles is unknown, if you know or have anything to add to this case, please call this number, [xxxx xxxx] or your emergency help number, [9-9-9]. This has been the evening news for July twenty-third, twenty-sixteen"- Oakwood Local News

_______________________________________________________________

"Everly, it's for the best-"

"The best? The best for who?!" She exclaimed, tugging mercilessly on her dark ponytail that kept her curly strands at bay. "Because it surely isn't for me!"

Dana pursed her neon-coloured lips tightly, narrowing her eyes at the teen in front of her. The girl was a mess, to say in the least. An old ratty t-shirt hung from her delicate shoulders and oversized gray joggers slung low on her hips, threatening to fall with every movement of her legs. Her usually dark skin was paler due to the lack of sunshine and her oddly dull eyes were sleepy and exhausted. Although Dana had told the girl to get dressed as soon as she rolled out of bed, she had been disobeyed, hence the pajama-clad teenager standing in her kitchen, arguing with her over something out of her control.

And it was all a mess, really.

"Darling, I think it's about time for you to get dressed, don't you think?" The woman suggested kindly, turning her back to the girl to continue making breakfast. The heavenly smell of bacon and freshly-cooked eggs permeated the room. Everly rolled her eyes. When will this woman ever learn? She makes breakfast every morning to feed a whole army when only two of her children actually eat the food. Everly and Ethan on the other hand, refuse to eat anything until noon.

"No, I don't." She argued. Everly plopped her tall frame into one of the bar stools underneath the island counter. "I think it's time for me to get a job."

The harsh sound of a metal skillet hitting the counter harshly made Everly jump. But Dana stayed stationary, fuming underneath her stony expression. "You are not getting a job, Everly Marie, and that is final."

"Why the hell not!?" The teenager rose from her seat and stood closely next to Dana. "You know I'm responsible enough, you see me with Rosie all the time. I can handle it, madre adottiva."

Dana's face turned a bright shade of red, almost matching the exotic shade of her lipstick. Everly noticed with a smirk that she managed to turn the tips of her ears red also, the anger so consuming that it spread to her ears. Her voice was deathly quiet as she spoke. "You will never call me that name again, do you understand? My name is either Dana or madre, nothing else. Mi capisci?"

Everly just smirked and turned on her bare heel, ascending the stairs with a bounce in her step.

And it was all a mess, really.

________________________________

Within the hour, Everly was dressed and walking up the front steps to her school, wanting nothing more than to tie her unruly curls back into a ponytail. They refuse to stay out of her face, and with every gust of wind or movement of her head they end up in her mouth, in her nose. Because Everly was forgetful and she forgot to wear a hair-tie on her wrist.

"Hey babe!" A deep voice called from the opposite end of the stairs. She kept her gaze focused on the front doors. "Oh come on Evie, darling, I don't bite." The boy laughed loudly with his friends as he added, "most of the time."