09.

09.

“Tom, do you remember the latest on the Harry Styles case?”

“Yes Malina, yes I do. Styles’ last known victim is brother Lucas Styles, who has been unidentified until his autopsy that was this morning. Apparently, Lucas was found buried underneath a tree in the Styles back garden in Oakwood. A gardener noticed that a mound of dirt was slightly raised and that the grass hadn’t come in as thick as surrounding areas.”

“So, authorities were called, as I understand, and found the body?”

“That’s correct.”

“So, Tom, what I’m getting from this whole situation is that the city of Oakwood should stay in their homes until further word on Harry Styles’ location, or until he is captured.”

-Wake Up UK! With Tom and Melina [aired August 4th, 2016]

___________________________________________________________________

e v e r l y

There was a time in Oakwood when it was solely populated by expanding families looking for a safe community with good schools and nice neighbours that will lend you a cup of sugar in dire situations. And that was nice- until Everly got older and the expanding families got older and the good schools slipped into poverty and the nice neighbours that would lend you a cup of sugar in dire situations became bitter old lads that will hit you with their cane if you step foot on their garden.

And, within ten years, Everly with the only teenager in the neighbourhood.

So, on a dreary England morning as rain pounded against the side of her home, she was pleasantly surprised as moving trucks pulled into the house beside the Green’s with a young lad seemingly the same age as herself carrying his items into his new residence.

He was handsome, from what she could tell. Tall, lean figure with a mousy mess of dark hair atop his head and muscular arms straining to carry all his belongings. Everly strained to look out of her bedroom window to see his face but the rain was coming down too hard and the expanding families got older and the good schools slipped into poverty and the nice neighbours that would lend you a cup of sugar in dire situations became old lads who would hit you with their cane if you step foot on their garden.

So she just sat and listened the the rain, watching him struggle with a mover to fit a couch through the front door.

“Evie?” Rosie’s small, high-pitched voice carried from her door frame. The girl who had slipped into a state of stalking her attractive new neighbour turned her head to look at the small girl who had an already wide smile stretching across her smooth, childish face. “Mummy wants you in the kitchen.”

Everly blinked a few times and noticed that she saw a boy with piercing green eyes and a mop of curly brown hair behind her eyelids. She blinked a bit more until he was gone, replaced by purple and green dots. “Alright, I’ll be down soon, lovey.”

“No, she wants you now.” Rosie said adamantly, unsteadily walking into the chilly air of her older sister’s room. Her limp was improving, Everly noticed. “She said that the food was gonna get c-cold if you don’t come now.”

“I doubt that.” She answers, but lifts her tired body from her window seat and grabbed Rosie’s hand to let the four-year-old lead her down the stairs and into the kitchen.

As they emerged into the brightly-lit room, Rosie waved to Ethan who was perched on a bar stool, chatting with Dana about a project in school. He waved back and flipped off Everly.