04| 'HITHERTO'

PREVIOUSLY

PREVIOUSLY

Little Caleb ran through the marketplace, weaving or pushing busy shoppers out of the way to his destination. He was not paying attention to the woman he pushed aside to the stand selling fresh watermelons. 

He did not want no time to waste as it could change their lives in a negative away forever. He tripped over a leg sticking out of the stand were lady, Khan was awakening from her sleep abruptly looking around her surroundings in shock.

She saw Caleb and smiled. "Oh it is just you, Caleb," she breathed out of relief. "I thought we were another punk-kid trying to  steal my goods again." 

He rose from the floor dusting himself from the dust on his body. Great, a scratch on his knee. This is the most he has gotten hurt in one day. Scratches, cuts, bruises, and a broken heart. 

"Where is your sister?" Ms. Khan asked worriedly. "I haven't seen her walk back here to her home," she narrowed her eyes at him . "Or you are the reason to thy she is late?"

partially.

He wanted to break down in front of the old lady but she will only make the problems worse by making everyone in town know about his sister. They did not help him when he needed it so why would they care to help her sister who pretty-much is an invisible face around here.

He sniffled and ran away from Ms. Khan who called to him but eventuality gave up with a "kids these days" comment.

He ran straight to his home sitting right in front of the big wall that Y/N would look at whenever she was doing chores or playing outdoor games with him. Caleb burst into his home looking in ever room for his father who was nowhere to be seen. He was going to have a panic attack. 

He remembered his father was always usually in the back of the house cutting up wood for his costumers who needed logs for their homes or market-stand. He checked behind the house only to find a cat sitting on top of his cutting board, grooming itself as effortlessly.

He groaned kicking the bucket beside him the creature running away from the sudden noise. Where could his father be at his time of need? At his daughters time of need?

Sitting on the ground out of frustration, he thought of how horrible he is of a brother. He is the other man of the house like his father and he could not protect the women in the house because he is too fearful. After all of the things his sister done for him. Protect him even if it will cost her life at the end.

He did not want to repeat history with his mothers tragedy. He was only a little  kid with only a small amount of options in a adult-dominated society but he did have one thing up his sleeve: recklessness. 

Caleb rose from the ground and went back into the house to his fathers room. He looked under the bed and found the black-box sitting right under the bed. He pulled the box with his might no matter how heavy it was for him, he managed to get the whole box to his view.