2010: The Winchesters [2]

It was past midnight when the two got to Bobby Singer's house. Leila was stunned by Bobby being wheelchair bound. They embraced and then, as if she'd lived there all along, she zipped off to one of the bookshelves to grab something. She pulled out a large journal with anti-demonic carvings on the leather front. She shook it and snatched up the contents that fell out. 

She almost skipped back to Dean with it in her hand.
Dean's brother entered the room to see what all the socialising was about. He was, by far, the tallest in the room. He had long dark brown hair framing his face and brown eyes.

"Ecce," Leila said while producing the photo.

"Huh?"

"It means 'Behold' in Latin," Sam Winchester explained to his older brother. 

Dean smirked at Leila and then at Sam, "Great now we have double the nerd power,"

"Look at the damn photo Winchesters." Leila said in a way that Dean almost heard it in Bobby's voice. 

They looked. They were surprised to find an eight-ish year old Dean dressed in a similar get-up to what he wore now, four year old baby Sam wearing nothing but shorts and a three year old Leila still in diapers and a little baby dress.
"Woah, Sammy put some clothes on," Dean laughed at the photo. Leila produced another one from underneath. In this one, the three kids were sat in a circle, almost as if they were discussing something. The two brothers noticed another baby arm in the lower right corner of the photo...
"Lemme see that," Bobby rolled over and Leila passed them over before they could ask about it. He started chuckling when he saw the baby photos.
The Winchesters hadn't seen Bobby smile and chuckle genuinely in a while. They savoured the moment.
"Still don't remember me?"
"Yeah, I remember our parents always hanging out and I had to somehow become the baby babysitter of all the little kids while the grown-ups had secret kitchen meetings," Dean chuckled. Sam still seemed like he was trying to piece together a puzzle. "I did sort of think it earlier when I met you but I thought I was wrong."

"That sounds about right. You were always telling us what we could do." Leila grinned as Dean remembered. She had thought that Dean and Sam would treat her like a stranger and was glad Bobby still had the photos. "We went to the same primary school for a bit as well, but, after all, our parents loved road trips,"

Sam went to look at the second photo again after Bobby had put it on the table. He turned it over where John Winchester's familiar writing printed on the back:

'The Courson twins and the Winchesters get to business'

Sam waited until Leila had announced she was going to use the shower before he raised questions with Bobby.
"Twins?"
"Don't go asking about that to Leila, she closes up like a clam at the reminder," Bobby insisted. Dean listened in, walking over to Sam to double-take at the writing on the back of the photo.
"So was he killed?"
"He was possessed for a year; the demon tortured Leila and tortured Logan's vessel in front of Leila, She went around the states trying to catch him and exorcise him but when she did the demon ensured to slit this throat so that she could watch him choke and apologise for himself for his first conscious moments after a year which happened to be his last conscious moments of his life,"

"I hate demons, man," Dean tightened his hands into fists, wanting to hit something.

"They were seventeen at the time, Leila's been going solo in life ever since,"

Bobby rolled over to the same bookshelf and pulled out the same book to grab another photo from a different page. Two toddlers sat on independent swings at a park in a summery setting. The copper highlights of Leila's collarbone-length hair glowed from the sun. Her brother's hair was lighter in colour and not much shorter than his sister's. They both had similar face shapes. What mostly set them apart were their clothes. Leila wore a dark green dress and Logan wore baggy grey trousers and a dark blue shirt with a smiling cartoon tiger. The two's faces were frozen in laughter. Logan was looking straight at the camera whilst his sister was smiling at him.

Dean and Sam felt for her loss. The brothers wouldn't know what to do without each other. 

Bobby put the photos back inside the book and took it off his bookshelf to leave on his desk. Any good memories were welcome these days, with the apocalypse raining down on them all. 

"I guess I'm going to have to get used to this eau d'homme because I can't be bothered to go buy toiletries," Leila returned to the living room sniffing herself, wearing a soft longsleeve grey shirt and pajama bottoms that were grey and red horizonal stripes – like a depressive candy cane.

The Winchesters couldn't remember the last time they wore pajamas.

"Let me guess, you secretly speak five languages?" Dean returned to his joking and line-throwing to make sure Leila didn't get suspicious of the sudden sombre air.

"No, I just know words here and there from different places, you can thank American commercialism and branding for my extensive French knowledge,"

Then they all, in a domino effect, called in for the night. Leila slept on the seat just next to Dean who slept on the couch. Sam stayed up for a bit longer reading but when Leila woke up, she saw him – uncomfortably – slouched over a book.
Carefully, Leila lifted Sam's head away from the book so that his neck was supported by a pillow. 

Dean watched Leila cautiously readjusting his brother so that he would sleep better and wake up more comfortably. It reminded him of something he would do. After she'd finished, she looked up to catch Dean watching through half-closed eyes. He smiled at her – or at least, he felt like he did but he was too tired to know if his mouth had moved at all.