2010: The Meeting [2]

Leila was cold. The room was cold, and empty all for one a bed and a bedside table.

Nick's bedroom.

Leila had been in the room before when she was house-sitting back when Nick and family were whole. She'd last entered the room when she was bringing Nick food whilst he was in his state of depression due to the murder of Sarah and their child, Teddy.

Lucifer was playing with Leila's emotions.

Leila went to the bedroom door. It opened completely fine – no locks.
She made her way to the kitchen. Her stomach was cramping with hunger.
Not the best time to want anything less than nothing to eat. Hopefully the fridge or freezer will still have something edible.
It seemed like she was all alone in the house for the moment.

The fridge offered nothing, but the freezer contained boxed waffles that could be slotted into a toaster and ready in minutes. Leila pulled out three and put them individually, in turn, into Nick's toaster.
They probably won't get eaten by anyone else anyway. She thought glumly. The house seemed completely unaltered. She wondered how long it had been since Nick had said 'yes' to Lucifer. 
A welcoming sweet buttery smell began to fill the kitchen from the toaster.

"Y'know, there I was thinking you'd be panicking and still so emotionally pent up from earlier. That you'd be running out of the door and out into the streets, I imagined having to drag you back in screaming, but instead, you're already eating your dead friend's leftovers," Lucifer hummed. He leaned in the doorway that connected the kitchen to the stairwell.

"He's not dead, his soul is just dormant," Leila reminded the archangel matter-of-factly. "Don't you have shit to do, like upsetting people and killing them and playing king of chaos?" She bit into a waffle aggressively for effect.
She began to choke on it. The dough was lodged in her throat. She could see Lucifer's hand actively poised in her direction. He was causing the choking.

"Most of the time I would just snap my fingers now and watch your kind burst like a punctured blood bag, but you're my current source of fun, maybe you're even interesting," He snapped his fingers and the choking stopped. Needless to say, she didn't feel hungry anymore. "Hell, all you humans are interesting, why did capital G-O-D love you all so much that second grading me seemed like a good idea," His hands went to his chin as if stroking an imaginary beard.

"Really? Daddy issues are what's making you play People Popper?" She was making an effort to be insensitive towards him.

"Oh, sweetie, I just said I was going to spare your life, don't tempt me to reverse my offer,"

"Offer?" Leila scoffed, suddenly her upset had become motivational rage, "Sorry for spitting on your shoes your highness, but I'm not interested in being your charity case," then, in fact quite darkly, she added, "I wonder what being popped feels like though, probably not the most therapeutic of bodily sensations."

The Devil chuckled at her remark, but then recalled her earlier comment. "No one talks down to me like that," His eyes went red, he re-materialised right in front of her.

"I can tell," Leila spoke sharply but the shivers were returning to her.

"Cold?"

"What gave it away? The obvious shivering or the obvious shivering?" Leila continued to speak in a disrespectful manner.
Suddenly his hand wrapped around one of her arms, Leila breathed in sharply as she felt icicles crawling through her bloodstream towards her heart. It hurt significantly more than the choking had a few minutes earlier.
"Well, you're not shivering anymore Leila," He smiled briefly, "Still cold?"
"W-" Leila tried again, "W-"
She was slipping away.
Then the ice retracted back to the source – his hand.
Leila felt heavy, she almost fell to the floor, but Satan caught her.
Her voice was a whisper as she regained her oxygen, "Why are you wasting your time here, don't you have some prophecy to see to?"