Chapter 18

I walk back into the party room, still a little flustered, then notice the clock. It reads 5:46 am. My shift is almost over.

Goldie runs up and greets me excitedly. "(Y/n)! Where were you?" His voice gets quieter, softer. "I was worried. Are you okay?"

Ack! My heart! I think to myself as his sweet words and worry for me make my heart throb.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Thanks for worrying for me." I say with a weak smile. He doesn't look convinced, but he still puts on a smile. "Well, my shift is almost over. We better clean up the mess in here." I say, looking at all the tables and chairs that have been moved around or pushed over.

"Ah, you're right. We can't leave this place like this for the morning crew to clean up," He says sheepishly, then turns around to the other animatronics. "Hey, let's put this place back together," He suggests, but all the others ignore him. He repeats himself a little louder, but all the others do is glance in his direction, then continue their fun and games. Goldie's smile falters, and he's clearly hurt, but he forces himself to continue smiling brightly.

I frown. Why are the other animatronics so mean to him still? I've forgiven him, why can't they?

I gently touch his shoulder, stifling the negative emotions stirring up in me and threatening to spill over. "You and I can clean it up together, I guess." I say, looking up at him with a smile. At this, his sad expression brightens up.

We put the tables and chairs back where they belong, the other animatronics helping out after they notice me cleaning. I know I should appreciate their help, even if they only did a little bit towards the end, but I don't. They completely ignored Goldie, once again. I'll never understand why they're so cruel to him still. It makes me mad. Goldie deserves better. I guess I'll just have to give him extra attention to make up for the lack he gets from everyone else.

I walk up and hug Goldie without any warning, making him tense. Normally I would giggle at his jumpiness, but I'm still upset. He wraps his arms around me and hugs me gently, but when I squeeze him tighter, his embrace tightens as well.

"(Y/n), are you okay?" He asks softly.

I pull myself out of his arms so I can look at him. "Yeah. Thank you, Goldie. I appreciate you." I say, trying my best to give him the warmest smile I can muster.

He blushes. "I-I should be the one thanking you." His smile grows and he gently places his hand on my shoulder. "You've given me a reason to smile."

I can't help but blush happily. I'm so glad that I have such a positive effect on him. Despite the suddenness of my words, the situation went well.

Just then, the clock chimes 6, and it's time for me to leave. I say goodbye to everyone, then walk out to my car and drive home, singing along to the songs on the radio throughout the whole drive.

The drive goes by like a dream, and soon I'm home again. I park my car and walk inside, only to be greeted by a silent darkness.

Oh, right, my parents...

Overwhelming sorrow washes over me, followed by anxiety. How am I supposed to pay for anything without them? The house bills? The car payments? Groceries? College tuition? And who will I go to when I need life advice? Who will comfort me when something goes wrong? Who will be my backup when life is cruel to me? Who will be there to bake cookies with on days off? Who will make me watch old movies with them?

No one.

The depression kicks in, and eventually I give up trying to fight it. I walk to my bedroom, mindlessly wiping at the tears that fall down my cheeks as I make my way to my room. Once inside, I barely change out of my uniform before falling into bed, too tired to put on pajamas. I need to just sleep the sadness away. Sleep so more time can go by until the pain is dulled.