Chapter 20

They let me cry, unsure of how to handle me. I'm a mess. A giant freaking mess. I don't blame them for standing there in silence as I sob on the dirty floor of a pizzeria basement. I've been crying for so long that now I don't have any more tears falling out of my eyes, it's just messy, obnoxious crying.

My head is throbbing and I feel filthy from Freddy's touch (though I won't say I didn't enjoy it. I think I enjoyed it too much, actually). My sobs begin to fade into whimpers, and whimpers into silence. I'm completely exhausted. I want to hide away and sleep.

I feel a hand lightly touch my back. "(Y/n)," Goldie soothes, "honey, let's get you fixed up, okay?"

"Yeah, because I'm such a freaking mess," I snap, ignoring the nickname he gave me. It may have been sweet (no pun intended), but I'm not in the mood.

He clicks his tongue before answering, choosing his words carefully. "That's not what I meant. I was just saying that I could take you to the bathroom to wipe the makeup off your cheeks, then maybe we can wrap you in a blanket and read a book or something."

That actually sounds really nice. "O-okay," I say, letting him help me to my feet.

He pats my shoulder, then turns around and looks at Freddy. "You guys are nasty," he jokes, then suddenly stops. "Looks like you have a... tiny issue," He says, clearly holding back laughter.

"Shut up, Goldie," Freddy says, but I can hear the smile in his voice. They're getting along?! Am I dreaming? But... what are they talking about?

"Okay, okay. Good luck with your, uh, little problem, there." Goldie puts his hand on my back and guides me to the stairs, putting his hand over his mouth to muffle his laughter. What is so funny? I turn around to glance at Freddy, but he turns away. Still, I can see how red his cheeks are. I don't understand—

Oh.

I feel my face heat up a little as I make my way up the stairs. Boys are so disgusting sometimes.

Goldie takes me to the family bathroom and let's me splash water on my face and scrub the black streaks off my cheeks. When I'm done, my face is even redder and blotchier than before, but at least my eyes aren't as puffy and my face is free of makeup.

I turn around and look back at Goldie. He jumps when my eyes land on him and quickly turns his head away.

His shyness is kind of charming, actually.

He glances back at me and puts on a smile to cover up whatever he might be thinking, but I can sense how fake it is. I can see the confusion and curiosity in his eyes, like I'm a mystery to him.

I stay quiet and give a patient smile, waiting for him to ask the question that he seems to be itching to ask, but he stays quiet.

"Uh, shall we?" I mutter, letting my smile fall.

"Oh, uh, yeah!" He stammers. I turn to walk out the door, but he motions for me to stop. "You-you still have some makeup... on-on your face," He says, slowly walking up to me. I turn and face him to let him point to whatever 'makeup' is still there, but instead he hesitantly moves his hand up to my face, gently rubbing his thumb over my cheek.

Butterflies swarm in my stomach. Why would they fly now after everything that just happened? Why in the world would those butterflies decide 'oh hey, forget that her whole life is ruined, let's have a party'?!

"There, it's gone now," Goldie says, stepping back away from me and giving me space. He fidgets with his hands, clearly embarrassed by his own actions. I would almost laugh if I wasn't so miserable.

He leads me out of the bathrooms and takes me back to the office. I sit by and watch as he sets up the screen to play live T.V. rather than whatever the cameras see. Finally, the screen changes from the boring hallways to the news channel. He gives a little victory cheer, then looks to me for affirmation. I force a smile and give him a thumbs up. His smile falters as he changed the channels, eventually giving up when Spongebob Squarepants starts playing.

"This show is funny, right? Laughter is the best medicine, so this is perfect!" He exclaims, then sits down on the floor next to me.

The commercials for little kids' games plays as we wait for the episode to start. I lean back against the wall.

"Thanks, Goldie," I say. I don't feel better yet, but I still appreciate him trying.

He smiles to himself but doesn't say anything.

We watch in peace until the theme song starts playing. When it does, not even five seconds later, Foxy and Chica burst through the doors screeching 'Spongebob?!!?!'. They give a quick cautious glance to Goldie, but then apparently decide Spongebob is better, so they sit down next to me and watch.

The three of them laugh at the funny parts and make fun of the different characters in such silly ways that they even coax me into laughing.

Foxy, Chica, Goldie... they're such good people. Such good... friends. I still have friends. Good friends. I may have lost my family and Bonnie, but the world isn't over. I still have these three to keep me grounded. I'm allowed to feel sad, yes, but not for forever. They've got me, and I've got them.

I smile.

Everything will be okay.

I just can't believe it took watching a kids cartoon to help me realize that.

(Word count: 970)

Ugh sorry this chapter was so short. I have such bad writers block right now because I started taking a creative writing class and now all my writing powers are being used in that class rather than here on Wattpad. Sorry bros. But hey, maybe the end of this chapter was worth it? Maybe your heart warmed up a degree? Maybe it didn't and I just suck at writing? Who knows