Chapter 28

"Hi..." I say awkwardly after the door opens to reveal an old woman. Her grey hair is styled with loose curls that are pulled back into a low ponytail. 

"Hello!" She says cheerfully. She may be old but she definitely still has a spring in her step. Her appearance shows her to be in her mid to late 70's, but she acts like she's not a day past 50. "How can I help you lovely kids?"

"Uh, hi!" I say awkwardly, glancing at Goldie, hoping I won't have to lead the question and that he could help, but he doesn't say anything; just returns my glance and gives me a smile. "Are you, um..." I begin, but my voice trails off. I'm not sure how to go about this, but I've come this far so I can't back down now. "I know this is kind of random but did you have a daughter that died like... uh..." I quickly do the math in my head, "...35-ish years ago?"

The woman's face falls to a demeanor of shock, hesitance, and sorrow. Her expression assures me that I'm right and that this is Chica's mother.

"...How did you know that?" The woman asks. Shoot, think of an excuse. Think, think, think!

I turn to Goldie for help, assurance, anything, but all he does is smile and look at me expectantly. He's lucky he's cute, because he's being absolutely useless right now.

"Um... I know this sounds crazy but I'm a medium...? I can talk to ghosts." She blinks, obviously thinking I'm insane but trying to be polite and hear me out. "I recently got a job at Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria, and I met your daughter's ghost there—" Her eyes widen. I think that convinced her that I'm telling the truth.

"I'm gonna have to ask you to leave," she starts, "I don't know how you found my house but all this talk about ghosts is unnerving and I'm not interested." She starts to back away and close the door, which makes me desperate.

"Wait! Please—!" I cry, but finally Goldie speaks up.

"Her name," he says, which somehow makes her freeze. "What was her name?"

The woman stays still, seeming to be debating on whether she should continue to speak to us or slam the door on our faces. I hope she doesn't pick the latter.

After a few seconds of silence, she answers. "Abigale."

"Abigale..." Goldie smiles. "That name really suits her. She had never told us her name, she just went by the name of her favorite animatronic from the pizzeria. It was Chica, right?"

The woman pauses, then nods her head slowly. I think I even hear her let out a soft chuckle. "She even begged me to get her a stuffed animal of Chica. She took that toy with her everywhere." She opens the door fully and looks at us again. Her eyes shimmer and a hint of a reminiscent smile makes its way onto her face.

"She's a lovely girl. Super bubbly and has the most contagious smile," I add, trying to contribute. She smiles wider and she looks to be on the brink of tears.

We stand there patiently, watching as she pulls a tissue out of her pocket and dabs it against her eyes. When she finishes and tucks the tissue back into her pocket, she speaks again.

"I'm assuming you kids didn't come here just to talk to an old lady about her daughter. What is it that you need?"

I take a deep breath. "She really wants to see you again. Is there any way we could convince you to meet us at the pizzeria today? I can pay for your meal," I offer, hoping she accepts.